1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure American history trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

I cheated and went to Wikipedia. I think Liut has the answer.

There was a book out maybe 30 years ago about the vice presidents. The author played off the title of John Dean's book about Nixon, calling his work "Bland Ambition." It's a pretty good read.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Correct!

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The last Highlander claymore charge happened during the American Revolution. Where?

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

North Carolina?

I think they reference it in Outlander but I can't recall the specific battle.

Liut likes this.
  5. Driftwood

Yes. Moore's Creek Bridge in Pender County, to be exact. They brought swords to a cannon fight.

garrow, Liut and Spartan Squad like this.
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

White House edition: Who were Nanny and Nanko?

7. Driftwood

Somebody's pets. Sounds like goats.
    Somebody's kid had an alligator at the WH, I think. Hayes supposedly had the first Siamese cat in America that was given to him while POTUS. Early pictures show livestock on the grounds.

8. Mr._Graybeard

They were goats that belonged to the Lincoln boys. I understand that Old Abe was a pretty permissive parent, possibly because he felt guilty because he wasn't home much for Robert when he was growing up.

garrow and micropolitan guy like this.
  9. Mr._Graybeard

The story of Joe Biden's German shepherd Major is widely known. But he wasn't the first GSD named Major that caused a stir in the White House. Who owned that dog?

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Correct!

11. Mr._Graybeard

No replies on this one, so I'll provide the answer. Franklin Roosevelt had a German shepherd named Major when he moved into the White House. Major, a retired police dog, quickly got into trouble for chasing White House maids before biting Sen. Hattie Caraway. Then he bit British Prime Minister Ramsay MacDonald and tore his pants. That earned Major a one-way ticket back to Hyde Park.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major...living at,the United Kingdom Ramsay MacDonald.

The Roosevelts also brought a Scottish Terrier named Meggie to the mansion. Fala, their most famous dog, came along in 1940.

Webster and Liut like this.
  12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Which state has the oldest continuously operating lighthouse in the U.S.?

Draft saved Draft deleted