1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The Fed thinks it can use the Open Market Operations(OMO) to expand currency in circulation.

From the Fed website:

"OMOs can be divided into two types: permanent and temporary. Permanent OMOs involve outright purchases or sales of securities for the System Open Market Account (SOMA), the Federal Reserve's portfolio. Traditionally, permanent OMOs are used to accommodate the longer-term factors driving the expansion of the Federal Reserve's balance sheet--primarily the trend growth of currency in circulation."

I understand that the Fed has other methods to control the amount of money in circulation, such as interest rates. But to argue that Fed policies do not affect the amount of currency in the economy is absurd. For example, quantitative easing was designed to increase the supply of currency in circulation and lower interest rates, which the policy accomplished, with possible long tern effects that may be disastrous.

My point is that someone has to decide on the amount of currency in circulation unless you want the central bank to stop creating any new currency at all.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I didn't "argue" anything like that.

You asked me who would supply money without the Federal Reserve. I told you that the Fed doesn't supply money, banks do.

You then said something about how the Fed "creates money" and I responded again, telling you that the Fed doesn't create money, it MANIPULATES the banks that create money by lending and taking deposits. The Federal Reserve tries to fix the price of money (using very hamhanded methods that essentially amount to trying to encourage the expansion of credit endlessly higher and higher). ... by intervening in our securities markets and buying assets, by using the discount rate to try to force banks into certain behaviors and by manipulating bank reserve requirements.

Which gets back to what started this. Someone asked which would I prefer, artificially low interest rates or sky high interest rates, as a result of their price fixing measures (with the sky high rates only coming when they unleash the inflation genie from the bottle after the sugar high of perpetual cheap money that is their default, and they are forced to deal with the misery they created for people). My response was that I'd prefer a market that is not price fixed by an appointed authority that is hurting everyone, I'd rather millions of buyers and sellers (i.e. lenders and borrowers) price money themselves via voluntary exchange WITHOUT a central planner trying to control everyone's behavior.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. The Big Ragu

He's right about the DEI shakedown game and the racial quotas he has no choice except to adhere to. It's too bad that he is put in the position of having to talk around the fact that he honestly could give a shit if you are gay or black or hispanic or Martian, he is the CEO of one of the best-run businesses in the world and what he really wants is the best, most qualfied PEOPLE he can find. We'd be much better off if this was the focus everyone had.

5. The Big Ragu

This is surprising to me. Their default is usually to introduce a bail out, call it a temporary emergency measure, and then when no one is paying attention make it permanent.

What that does do is signal that they already have rate cuts planned. ... It gives the banks they have kept propped up another year on the freebie money they were given. But there is no way possible that they can take away the backstop that has been propping up our banking system and not have banks start failing again with so many of their bond portfolios still under water. The only thing that bubbles up the values of those bonds back to where they were and creates the false illusion of stability. ... is if they drop the discount rate back close to zero and get interest rates back down.

They are playing a dangerous game, because they don't have "inflation" under control and this is perilously close to lighting matches near a gasoline depot.

But this is the Weimar Republic roller coaster they have us on now.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

7. The Big Ragu

Interesting take.

The UMich sentiment survey was in the tank two years ago. It was pure gloom. So to say, "People feel better," doesn't equate to "people feel good." The CPI (which undereports prices) is still running at 3.4 percent annually in the last print, which would have been unthinkable before they moved the goal posts. The Fed's own bullshit used to have a "2 percent" objective. When people's purchasing power is declining by 3.4 percent a year, the poorest people don't feel good, which is why the political polls tell a different story.

We'll see if the "soft landing" narrative is true. It has never happened in the history of the Fed creating booms and busts. Not once. It seems to me like the broad based sentiment (which is really based on "the Fed is going to cut and juice things again and the bubble is going to reinflate everything. ... not the actual economy) is doing a "mission accomplished" BEFORE we are at the finish line. That is always dangerous. The difference between now and all the other times the Fed pivoted after the financial crisis because it can never normalize things now without a debt bomb exploding. ... is the inflation genie that is out of the bottle. If they do reverse, that 3.4 percent which is killing poor people, can easily take off to prices rising at an even worse pace again.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Dimon
    Exits
    Interview

10. The Big Ragu

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

You mean it's not clueless people driving like assholes?

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My pay-in-full 6-month premium was $660 for two cars. Then I traded an ancient 2000 Civic for a not-as-ancient low-mileage 2009 Civic, and the renewal policy was $790.

For shits and giggles I got an online quote from some company called Amica . . . $3,400.

I wouldn't insure a Rolls-Royce for $3,400.

Draft saved Draft deleted