1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Long way to go, but politically the Biden administration is playing the Ukraine/border/budget negotiation pretty well. Especially since trump has tried to tank it.

Now, Biden saying he’s willing to basically shut down the border if a bipartisan deal is passed is likely bullshit. But the opportunity to apply that pressure became available once it looked like the Senate was close to what would’ve been a major deal to get a Ukraine/Israel package along with big steps on immigration.

It’s a helluva lot easier to blame the trumplicans now, and persuade voters, because trump tackled his own team and made it cough up the ball in the red zone. He’s such a fucking idiot.

It’s a pretty good overall look for Biden and his administration. Especially what they’ve been able to do over three years with razor thin margins in Congress.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It ain’t the fans.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Perfect description of the deplorables.

4. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I agree with these sentiments, but I would also add to listen to what these people say in continuing to support Trump. They often fall to, "I just like how he tells it like it is."

OK, so they like what he says. And look at the things he says. Deplorable shit, right? He's the voicebox of their true feelings. He gets away with it, so in supporting him, I get to say it, too, without the normal repercussions I might face in the everyday, real life of going to work and driving around town.

It's their way of basically saying the N word and a dash of fuck your feelings with a knowing, comforting nod and a wink to their ilk. It was always that way from the start. "Make America Great Again." When was the last time you thought it was great, Donald, and why? That's the thing about dog whistles. Only dogs can hear them.

You want to support Trump, still, after everything he's said and done? OK, fine. Then I get to remember that for all time, too, and what it likely says about you.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's amazing how both sides say the other is unhappy and angry.

"Democrats are always talking about how evil America is, how oppressed and victimized so many of its citizens are . . . "

Both sides also say THEY are the ones who never hit back and just let the other side walk all over them.

I swear, it's like the whole world is gold dress/blue dress to everyone.

[​IMG]

WriteThinking likes this.
  6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

No, after a disruptive, actually scary argument -- it seemed like it could've escalated to an actual attack -- with a Trumpian brother that I had that has caused major strife in the family the past couple of days, I now realize that Trump supporters don't even know why they like him. They literally don't know what he's said or what he's done that is so wrong. Indeed, they say that's why he's not in jail (as we would want) -- "because he hasn't done anything wrong."

This was at a family gathering, so I should've just let it drop. But I'm getting where I want to actually try to help, so I tried to enlighten my brother, hoping to stop at least one Trump vote and make him understand why he should be drawn over to the other side. It made him yell, at the top of his lungs, right in my 92-year-old mother's face, about why do I get to go on about Trump when he, my brother, hadn't said anything, and to "MAKE HER STOP." Seriously, I'm sure the next-door neighbors could've heard him, and my mom was left shrinking away from him and just trying desperately to shut both of us up. It was insane.

They have no reasons for their "support," or their lack of support for Biden, either, other than "We've got an idiot for a President." They know/understand nothing. They've not heard it, or learned it, or taken anything in, or anything, other than "It can't be Biden."

So, just exactly the same as the Biden supporters feel in saying, "It can't be Trump," although I think we have a better understanding of why not.

It's just "us" and "them." That's it. There's no reasoning, and no reasons. People are just stupid.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Most of our lives are going to progress the same in 2025 and beyond regardless of who wins in November.

And that's something neither side will acknowledge, as it cuts the legs out from under "We cannot afford four years under . . . "

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

This is the statement that sends me off the deep end and will actually engage one of these people when they say it.
    "Oh, really, Mr. Barely Graduated high school? In all your worldly experience, why don't you tell me how exactly IT IS because I don't know. I don't even know what it is, never mind how it is. Please enlighten me. Let me bask in the light of your accumulated knowledge working part time at the gas station."

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

This is an absolute fact for me personally. I'm a pretty comfortable middle age married white guy.
    My biggest concern is them moving the goal posts for Social Security and Medicaid. That won't come from who's in the WH.
    A big fear I have about Trump is what he'd try to do to the environment. He'd rape every single natural resource we have to make a nickel. I really just want him to go away so my wife will stop talking about him and SCOTUS.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don’t know about that. I thought Civil War 2.0 was a fantasy of the far right - until a bunch of GOP governors started talking like it’s 1860 by advocating nullification of SCOTUS and the Federal Government.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"Trump being Trump"

In reality, it is a sign of American decline that this person has a shot at being President again. Hell, that he was elected once was bad enough.

Aren't there any decent Republicans who haven't sexually assaulted women, slandered large ethnicities and led riots?

Why can't the Republican Party do better than Trump?

Draft saved Draft deleted