1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm the same. Virtually everything goes on the card and it's paid off on the first paycheck of the month. I can't remember the last time I paid interest on it.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have an insane. ... 6 credit cards in my wallet. I use 4 of them. Funny enough, the Capital One card (with the 1.5 percent cash back) is the one I never use anymore -- I run a small purchase through it every 6 months or so, so they don't cancel it. My cash back regimen is:

Amex Blue -- 3 percent back on groceries and gas
    Bank of America -- 3 percent back on online purchases, which includes cable / internet bill (you can choose a 3 percent category)
    Chase Freedom -- 3 percent back at drug stores.
    Citi Double Cash back -- everything else. ... its convoluted, but I get 1 percent back when I make a purchase, another 1 percent back when I pay the bill for a total of 2 percent.

On top of it, I occasionally take advantage of business specific offers that are available on each of the cards, which range from 3 percent off to as much as 10 percent off to a fixed dollar amount back if you use the card for a purchase.

The amount of time I spend thinking about the cash back game is probably not worth the cash back. But it's almost like a hobby for me. I actually enjoy it.

I play weird mental gymnastics with it, too. ... I wear out the AMEX card at Trader Joe's, Wegmans, etc. The card has a "preferred version" of the same card that doubles the cash back, so I'd get 6 percent back on groceries, if I upgraded, but the card has an annual fee of $75. I sat down last year and looked at how much in groceries I had run through that card the prior year, and the $75 would more than pay for itself. But where I draw a line (kind of irrationally) is paying a yearly fee to have the card. They even have offered me the first year with no fee if I upgrade, and I still won't do it.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm getting tired of my debit card "not approved" at places I've used it at multiple times.

They send me a text asking if the charge was really me, I say "YES," and then I can use it. That Publix has the most sensitive card readers in existence that can't read my almost-new card most of the time makes it even more complicated.

This week the bank declined a $1.09 fountain soda purchase at WAWA.

I don't mind the occasional security check, such as when I wrote a $4,000 check to the car dealer last week. But this nickel-and-dime shit is a pain.

maumann likes this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Speaking of Trader Joe's, they believe Coup Deal > New Deal

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My wife does all the financial gymnastics because that's her thing. She uses her debit card for her first 20 purchases of the month because she gets 4% interest on what's in her checking account at the bank (which she keeps steady at the max they allow, even if that means transferring some in at the end of the month). Then she switches to her primary card for 1.5% on purchases, but she has another one she uses for gas and at CVS because she gets 3% back.
    All that's too much hassle for me to keep up with, plus I don't keep much in my checking account (I just transfer it to her after paying off my card each month). I just have the one card and am done with it.

wicked likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You're normal. I am not. But it sounds like your wife and I could geek out over this stuff.

I don't keep anything in the checking account I use to pay bills, because I earn more on cash elsewhere. I've also been buying very short-term T bills -- 3 and 6 month bills -- because they are paying well over 5 percent yield and the money is fairly liquid. I pay myself (I work for myself) into a money market / high yield savings account that is currently paying between 4.5 to 5 percent interest. But I can't write checks or pay bills against that account, so I use ACH transfers like it is a bodily function. They serve the weird purpose of counting as a "direct deposit" into the no frills checking account I keep (one I have had for at least 35 years), which is all I need to do to avoid a monthly fee.

As an aside, I keep as little as necessary in that high yield savings account, too. I have managed to save pretty well and I buy hard assets rather than parking money in dollars that have just lost value in real terms (although not as much as 4, 5 years ago, when real rates were ridiculously negative). I'll take my chances with a gold or silver bar preserving more purchasing power than a dollar parked in bank account. I feel like this was one of the best decisions I have made. I can trade the gold and silver I have accumulated for way more dollars than I paid for it, but maybe more importantly, psychologically it's almost been like a "forced" savings program for me.

Yeah, I spend way too much time thinking about these things, to the point of it not being productive, but like I said, it's kind of like my hobby.

maumann likes this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

If I die first, my wife is going to have a conniption because I understand how the household finances work but she has no idea what goes where.

The mortgage is through Chase, which offers cash back if I pay it from a Chase checking account, as long as I keep a $1,500 balance to remain fee-free. So I have an automatic transfer from my USAA account to cover that. In addition, the Edward Jones mutual fund account pays $2,000 monthly to cover everything that Social Security doesn't. And her dad's IRA needs a yearly minimum distribution that also gets factored into it. Her brother's annuities are all direct-deposit, except for one annoying check every month that I have to have her sign and send to San Antonio.

All the utilities and credit cards are on automatic pay, but I still have two or three local "check only" accounts: Hello, White County News! The homeowner's association FINALLY set up an online payment system last year.

I absolutely hate when one of her friends writes her a check. I need to learn how to direct deposit that crap through the smartphone.

Driftwood likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Write that down and give it her. It's a mean old world, and no one knows the day and time.

dixiehack, maumann and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I just received my annual rebate from my Citi Visa Costco card: $1,200+.
    Paid off every month, never a penny of interest.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

My fiancée redid her finances years ago with a friend’s help, and it’s a real corn maze. X goes into the vacation account, Y goes into the car account (even when the car is paid off), and Z goes into some other god-forsaken account. I have a checking, a primary savings account and an extra savings account where I put money to cover taxes from freelancing. I thought my system was elaborate.

11. Driftwood

I’m absolutely counting on dying before my wife because I don’t know what we have, what we pay, or how it gets paid.
    I ask occasionally if I can retire or if we are broke. As long as the answer to both is “no” then I don’t need any more details.
    I didn’t want or need her help the other when I had to put a new latch on the back storm door.
    I’m in charge of the physical. She is in charge of the fiscal.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. Driftwood

When we are apart she likes to call me and go into tedious financial minutiae. I usually put my phone on speaker, toss it aside, and go on about my business while offering up the occasional “Yeah. Ok. Makes sense. Whatever you think. Sounds good.”
    I once did that, forgetting we were FaceTiming.
    Cold. Busted!

Draft saved Draft deleted