1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Bannon is a walking cold sore.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/01/27/black-men-frustrated-biden-democrats/

Many Black voters say they are disappointed that Biden, despite his promises, failed to win a sweeping voting rights bill or police reform legislation. While that is largely due to Republican opposition, some civil rights leaders argue that Biden did not spend enough political capital on such bills, especially compared with favored causes like the Ukraine war.

In any case, civil rights measures often resonate less with Black men, who may view economic prosperity as a more realistic way to get ahead, said Theodore Johnson, a scholar on race and electoral politics at the think tank New America.

“Democrats talk a lot about the Voting Rights Act, the Supreme Court and Republicans using the filibuster to prevent good things from happening. The implication is the only way civil rights can be advanced is if we pass more laws and get more favorable rulings on racial equity,” Johnson said. “Some Black men say, ‘To hell with it. ... This is America, a capitalistic country, and if I’m well off, people will treat me right because the color green is more important than the color of my skin.’”

and

Community organizers around Detroit have tried to counter those ideas by creating spaces for Black men to speak freely about politics and the issues affecting their lives.

One such conversation took place recently at a strip mall restaurant called P’s and Q’s Bakery and Cafe in northwest Pontiac. The owners opened up the restaurant after hours and grilled burgers for 15 or so civically engaged Black men who had driven through the snow from across the Detroit metro area.

Under the pale glow of fluorescent lights, they pushed four tables together and took turns articulating what is at stake in the 2024 election and why they believed Biden’s messaging had fallen flat with some Black men.

“If you can send $800 million to Ukraine, you can’t tell me you can’t facilitate that student loan situation whatsoever,” said Demar Byas, 45, who lives in Pontiac and is a local government employee. “Student loans, homelessness, some of that could have been eradicated. But then we sent that money overseas.”

Kerry Tolbert, also of Pontiac, agreed. “It’s a slap in the face [from] this administration when you watch billions go to other countries and there’s no resources for people right here,” he said.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Drugs?"
    "Thank you, no; I'm straight."
    "No, I meant, are you here for drugs?"
    "Why are you here?"
    "Drugs."

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Alma happy to share the bad news about voters unhappy with Biden for not getting through all the stuff Alma spent four years arguing was a bad idea or not that important or just virtue signaling by the Cools.

6. Starman

(Vigorous jacking off motion)

Yadda yadda, blah blah. One of the recurring topics of conversation from the Fatfuck Fascist Party is a favorable discussion of the positive aspects of slavery.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Biden coming out swinging tonight.

garrow likes this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That, and we can be absolutely sure Trump will do for voting rights what Biden didn't.

2muchcoffeeman and Smallpotatoes like this.
  9. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

My God there is a new low every bleepin' day.

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

He would not last a month in prison.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Perhaps we'll find out about that some of these days.

matt_garth likes this.
  12. Starman

You can't throw Smelly Steve in prison, either, because the old men in the diner will get mad again.

Draft saved Draft deleted