1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Championship Game Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 22, 2024.

1. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

"Mom, I'm gonna rip off your head, and shit down your neck ..."

I think that was Dan Campbell's mantra last night. Or sumthin' like that.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And you know, I don't disagree with him. The people who lose their minds over this are the ones with a problem.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Lions lose if they kick the FG to tie. SF was marching all over them the second half and would have done it again to score the winning FG. Campbell knew the Lions needed a TD.

4. jr/shotglass

If they hit on that fourth-and-3, he's hailed as a coaching genius. We all know that. More than anything, that was a poorly executed play.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Funny, I have said the same thing for weeks. She abhors the camera on her in the suite. She had no idea those things happen (Her "sorry to the dads, brads and chads" line was funny). I get the feeling she didn't watch a lot of football before this fall, she genuinely seems to enjoy the games, and likes her guy. What the fuck is to hate about it?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

She was NOT happy when she saw herself on TV last night. She'll never go anywhere undisturbed again in her life, people think she wants more attention?

My opinion of her is colored by my Swiftie daughters but I genuinely believe she's good people. There are several stories about her going into these stadiums and handing out $100 bills to workers.

7. jr/shotglass

The way I see it, consider the last decade of her life. The fact that she has emerged from all this and still seems like a decent human being is quite the feat.

HanSenSE, TigerVols and dixiehack like this.
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We don't know that, but we know for certain that they lost with the other choice. The first one was even worse. They dominated the first half. The 49ers had just driven to bring it to a two-score deficit and the Lions had the opportunity to negate that drive and make it a three-score game again. That gave the 49ers life. Sure, they should have protected Goff better and Reynolds should have caught the ball, but that's the point. There are so many things that can go wrong on a pass play, many more than on a field goal.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And that's the exact thing. Yeah, receiver should've caught it.

But Campbell should not have gone for it, should have kicked the field goal, and yes, I know, he's been Mr. Gambling Man all season and this is what they've gone to get here. Everybody fucking gets that.

And dammit, I wanted to go for it before halftime but had to settle for a flim flarn field goal to make it 24-7 instead'a 28-7!

That's why he went for it in the third after the 49ers kicked the FG ... cuz he wanted to go for it before half and didn't and dammit, I deserve to go for it now!

Who knows what happens if he sends in the kicking team on, kick good, 27-10, 3-score game with 22 minutes to play.

Time and place to be Mr. Gambling Man. Tryna get to the Super Bowl for the first time wasn't the time and place, in the third, chance to go up 3 scores.

Even if the receiver should've caught it.

Would've been 27-10.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Have no problem with Campbell going for it the first time. Doing it down three with 5 to play is another matter. Tied is way way better than trailing.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

This is what I haven't seen those defending Campbell explain (though I admit, I haven't been following that closely). Why take the FG before halftime and then go for it in the 2nd half. The right answer was to kick all 3. If they had gotten away with it, fine. But they didn't. He's still a good coach and I wish he were coaching my team, but he gave that one away.
    Also, I haven't seen that much of the Lions this year, but Goff sure looked like a QB with accuracy problems yesterday.

Draft saved Draft deleted