1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Championship Game Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 22, 2024.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I can see how he got from Point A to Point B on fourth-and-3, and I've seen it expressed elsewhere.

Campbell realized that his ballclub was in full retreat, and a field goal was not going to stem the tide. He felt he needed the TD to get some sort of momentum back.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
  2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I was very surprised they handed the ball off on the first two plays after the onside kick. I had visions of Jersey Joe Pisarcik running through my head.

Why not do what they did on third down and have the QB back up a few steps or run away from the line of scimmage to run a couple seconds off and then kneel or go down?

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

But why does that make it worse than the one at the beginning of the 3rd quarter? If anything, it's better because in the middle of the field, you could convert the 4th down and not score a TD anyway.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That was indefensible.

Webster and Spartan Squad like this.
  5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

So Ben Johnson makes that call and that’s who the WAS is salivating to hire? Well Shanahan collapsed in SB and he’s turned out pretty well.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Didn't the MAGA hate machine stop watching football because Kaepernick kneeled during the anthem? Yet here they are.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Because running can best case get you a first down and game is over, most likely let you run more time off the clock so that fourth down Purdy just needs to back up for one second then end it.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I guess. There's also a much greater risk of a fumble.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Rewatching the games - it was simple - the Ravens didn't make plays - the Chiefs did. And how many stupid errors by the Ravens? Jeesh.

I still don't understand Campbell going for when he had a great shot at tying the game in the fourth. Then that last scoring drive at the end ties the game. Crazy how many dropped passes there were by the Lions (let alone the fumble) in the second half - when the Niners seemed to be grabbing everything - not to mention Purdy's scrambles for chunks of yards.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think that it’s because they probably didn’t value the chance of making the FG as highly, but I generally agree.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I'd much rather see and hear from Taylor Swift than RGIII, who has somehow become a Milennial media whore and a bitter old man at the same time.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I can't believe I'm posting this in reply to you but not AT you! :D

[​IMG]

jr/shotglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted