1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worthy of A1? Phil Collins admits he's not doing well

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Sep 9, 2021.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Number one song this week in 1989! (It aired over the weekend on XM)

And yes, I feel that the video age is making the aging process even harder to comprehend for musical icons. Phil, as has been noted on this thread, always looked older than he was. But that's easier to grasp when the artist is 38 than when he's 73.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Just this morning I was looking at an old People magazine at the car place, and there was a picture of Phil Collins.

I thought it was Sam Zell.

[​IMG]

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Phil Collins is almost turning into this guy -- without the mask! (Hi @Sam Mills 51 !)

efb7276512932d0be0f343329ec9e262.jpg

4. I Should Coco

I guess Pete himself doesn't need the mask anymore, either.

Peter_Gabriel,_Denver_2023.jpg

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

C'mon, now. Don't fuck with a rocker when he's 73. Especially because he's 73.

I wish SF_Express could be that old. ... spnited, Frank Ridgeway and shockey, too.

You might be 73 yourself someday. ... If you're lucky.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup ... Pete toward the end of "The Musical Box." Even sounded a bit raspy, which wasn't as easy in his early 20s, when the above photo was taken, as it does for Mr. Gabriel now in his 70s.

That photo BTE got of Phil was at one of the "Last Domino" concerts. Orthopaedically, Phil is hurting so much that he had to sit down to sing. And, unfortunately, forget playing any percussion. And, with all due respect to his other musical gifts, his percussion was his greatest one.

Neutral Corner and I Should Coco like this.
  8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Isn't "admits" an odd verb choice for the title? "Reveals" maybe?

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I get frightened a little bit every time this thread gets updated.

10. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

yeah, for real on that.

Some 73s look better than others. I've been around long enough to recognize that.

11. I Should Coco

No disrespect meant toward Phil. Drumming is a physically demanding job and, as SamMills noted, Collins was damn good at it, especially in the Peter Gabriel Genesis era.

A lot of rock drummers have to recover from injuries as they get older or hang up the sticks altogether. Not sure how Charlie Watts did it for so long.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

To me, the greater tragedy is the warm-up jacket he's wearing. Only slightly better than a ratty old cardigan. Enjoyed Collins a few times in concert. Glad performers are still out there doing it well into their 70s. Shoot, Billy Joel just announced another tour. Though when you are playing football stadiums once a month (with Sting, or Stevie Nicks!) is it REALLY a tour?MSG residency is ending. As much as I like the "opening acts" - I'd rather he'd do the entire thing with his catalogue. Doing 90-120 minutes that's maybe 20 songs tops.

Draft saved Draft deleted