1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

upload_2024-2-3_4-14-21.jpeg

swingline and garrow like this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

More bad news for (East) Palestinians.

https://wapo.st/3SIwPTL

“I want a response from Norfolk Southern that we can look back five years from now, 10 years from now, [and] we can be proud,” Alan Shaw, the company’s chief executive, said in an interview with local reporters in January.

In the nation’s capital, however, Norfolk Southern often has sounded a more defiant note: It has joined some of the nation’s leading freight railroads in a bid to weaken newly proposed safety legislation, threatening to leave millions of Americans nationwide at risk of deadly derailments and dangerous chemical spills.

The target of the lobbying is a bipartisan proposal from Ohio’s two senators: Sherrod Brown, a Democrat, and J.D. Vance, a Republican. Unveiled last spring as a direct response to the accident in East Palestine, the Railway Safety Act aims to toughen rail inspections, improve derailment-detection technology and ensure greater safeguards for hazardous materials.

Publicly, Norfolk Southern and its peers have pledged to work with lawmakers on the bill. But the companies have still labored to severely weaken or eliminate some of its core provisions, according to 15 lawmakers, congressional aides, union officials and others, many of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe private conversations.

3. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

And let's not forget: they made their locomotive crews shit in plastic bags!

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know about whipping up moral panics, whatever that means. But Elon Musk came here from somewhere else, and while he was able to get a student visa and didn't enter the country illegally (he didn't have to), for the life of me I can't understand someone who has the experience of immigrating to the U.S. and becoming a citizen not being sympathetic to others who just want the same thing.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Why does he think people can just come here and suddenly be able to vote?

It’s simply not possible. There’s no way around it.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Let me think, maybe the country Musk came from has something to do with his skewed ideas.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You mean the kid who grew up in Apartheid South Africa might harbor racist views? I can't for the life of me believe that!

Draft saved Draft deleted