1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I honestly don't remember much of a COVID anti-vaxx movement in January 2021.

Not until it started to be mandated in places in April 2021.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Won't happen before election day.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Becuz nobudduh tellz them whut ta dew. Specially not the guvvmint.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I got my first dose of the vax in late January 2021 as an essential worker. But what I remember most between that and when the world was shut down in March 2020 (right after Tom Hanks got it and the NBA stopped the season) was what an utter flustercluck even the simplest things were. States competing against each other for supplies like gloves, masks and gowns for doctors and nurses. That doing shots of Clorox or Lysol would cure what ails you, or exposure to high-power lights. And don't get me started on making hand sanitizer out of Tito's. All encouraged by someone who said only 15 people in the US had it.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  5. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I had asked in July 2020 if people would get a COVID vaccine when it became available and about 70 percent said no.

I got mine shortly after I was eligible.

Those who were anti-vaccine or didn't think COVID was a big deal at that time (July 2020) probably haven't changed their tune in almost 4 years.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Lancet, October 2020

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/landig/article/PIIS2589-7500(20)30227-2/fulltext

A new report by the Centre for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH) has lambasted social media companies for allowing the anti-vaccine movement to remain on their platforms. The report's authors noted that social media accounts held by so-called anti-vaxxers have increased their following by at least 7·8 million people since 2019. “The decision to continue hosting known misinformation content and actors left online anti-vaxxers ready to pounce on the opportunity presented by coronavirus”, stated the report. The CCDH warned that the growing anti-vaccine movement could undermine the roll-out of any future vaccine against COVID-19.
    The report noted that 31 million people follow anti-vaccine groups on Facebook, with 17 million people subscribing to similar accounts on YouTube. The CCDH calculated that the anti-vaccine movement could realise US$1 billion in annual revenues for social media firms. As much as $989 million could accrue to Facebook and Instagram alone, largely from advertising targeting the 38·7 million followers of anti-vaccine accounts. Huge sums indeed, but it is worth noting that, in 2019, Facebook generated revenue of $70·7 billion.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

“As of today, the National Football League is revising the Rooney Rule to clarify that teams have to interview a white guy for openings too.”

There, done.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Glenn Beck and Jason Whitlock, ladies and gentlemen.

garrow likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Is this parody?

I mean, any time you get a matchup of the defending champion against the top seed from the other conference, that’s gonna draw suspicion.

garrow and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You and I grew up mocking governments who told their people what to dew.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted