1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Podcast recommendations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Feb 7, 2024.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Need some help, folks. I'm new to both my long drive to work and podcasts. I have about a 30-minute commute to work and back each day and need to find podcasts for both morning and afternoon drives. I'd like to find:

1 news podcast that's a little longer, maybe something to cover the entire drive. I'd like it to be a broad news podcast, rather than an in-depth look at one topic. I've been listening to Gordon Deal's show in the morning, but I'd like to see what else is out there. I sometimes get a bit bored with his format -- three or four headlines, and call in a Washington Examiner or Politico reporter to talk about their story. Not bad, but I'd like to find something more diverse. I feel like I'm trying to find a needle in a haystack with this one.

I'd also like to find the opposite for the drive the other way ... maybe something more in-depth. Doesn't have to be news.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

MSNBC's Way Too Early has a scoped 40-minute podcast that leavens the usual political stuff with sports, weather and financial news. The same format largely carries over into Morning Joe.

Although if at 5 a.m. there is a drinking game possible wherein the weather person announces how many "million people" are affected by a weather system, you'd be toasted before sunrise.

three_bags_full likes this.
  3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I recently started listening to Tetragrammaton, which is hosted by the music producer Rick Rubin. He talks to other creative folks about what they do and how they do it. I finished the Tom Hanks episode yesterday, and I listened to his talk with Steven Pressfield - author of The Legend of Bagger Vance and The War of Art - last week. My commute is about 15 minutes, and these filled several days' of driving.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Listen to the Junkies on 106.7.

They’re great when they’re not talking about sports.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

No Such Thing As A Fish is a funny/smart British podcast in which the four hosts discuss their favorite facts from the past seven days. Lots of interesting/odd/funny varied stuff in each episode.

If you like the NBA, the Hoop Collective podcast with ESPN's Brian Windhorst, Tim McMahon and Tim Bontemps is really good. I enjoy it as much for the interactions between the guys as I do the NBA stories and intel.

A History of Rock Music in 500 Songs is wonderful. The episodes are really long, sometimes two hours, so that's not for everyone, but the stories and details are fantastic.

Huggy likes this.
  6. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

As an NBA nerd, I'd also add Zach Lowe's The Lowe Post. Zach's so goddam smart, always has great writers and his tangents on, "Why do we say ( random colloquialism)" are always funny to me.

sgreenwell and PCLoadLetter like this.
  7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Bear Brook

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Also, One By Willie is really good. A writer from Texas Monthly interviews a notable Willie fan about his/her favorite Willie song. New season just started, and the first two guests are Nick Offerman and Whoopi Goldberg.

Tighthead likes this.
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I always like Hit Parade by Slate.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

For news BBC World Service or Morning Edition.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“Well There’s Your Problem” is a delightfully profane look at engineering disasters.

12. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted