1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Last night I watched a replay of Saturday's Tennessee-Kentucky game. The Vols looked very good, but the overwhelming impression I left with was that Kentucky is terrible defensively, an absolute disaster. That was as horribly undisciplined a team as I can recall ever seeing.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Rivalry explained

IMG_5195.jpeg

Batman and YMCA B-Baller like this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If the committee thinks Tennessee’s assignment to Memphis will generate more ticket sales than someone else might, then the Vols may be headed to Graceland.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Have no interest in playing in East Arkansas.

2muchcoffeeman and TigerVols like this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ed Cooley's pretty great.

I'm not sure he'll turn around Georgetown.

sgreenwell and franticscribe like this.
  7. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

A whole lot of Georgetown fans who were predicting immediate success under Cooley are now saying the rebuilding process will take years because Ewing left the program with nothing. I'm not sure I buy that in the age of transfers. This year's team is not a whole lot better than the previous two trainwrecks. Plus, Georgetown faces *very* uncertain stadium prospects if the Leonsis plan comes to fruition and the Caps/Wizards move to Virginia (I'm still not sure that it actually will). DC leaders have said that if the Caps/Wizards leave, they're not gonna want to deal with a huge arena that goes unused 300 days of the year, likely meaning it'll be a teardown. That would leave the Hoyas in dire shape, because their on-campus gym is a tiny relic and there is exactly zero chance of a new on-campus arena being built. And Georgetown struggles to draw at an arena that's three miles from campus; the prospect of playing even farther away at Ted's Virginia palace isn't great.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Cooley chose not - and properly so - to try and bring his best Providence players with him. (Kim English didn't hesitate in bringing Josh Oduro to Providence, for example.) Cooley was going to be limited in year one.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

They can rent the Smith Center from GW. That would be rich beyond words.

Hot and Rickety likes this.
  10. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

They would rent Smith Center and then still be too chickenshit to play GW.

HanSenSE and micropolitan guy like this.
  11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'm willing to see what he can bring in for Year 2. It was obvious the cubboard was bare when he got there because Georgetown was that bad.

They've got three losses by a point, that OT loss to Providence. They could easily be 12-8 instead of 8-12

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

College basketball is a hard sell in DC. No excuse for Georgetown, GW, AU and George Mason not to play each other. Easy road trips and they might even generate some interest in local basketball.

part-timer and Hot and Rickety like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted