1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And let’s not forget, using it as a pejorative denigrates what they do. Once in a while they have to hang out with total dicks for both too long and and not long enough time. And one to four times in their lives, they have to push a watermelon out of a 10-centimeter opening. They bleed, get grabbed, poked, prodded and otherwise abused and can still destroy every guy here.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

What, it wasn’t clear I was using it in place of “frightened feline?”

I can abide by the recommendations of the Pussy Parliament.

To reiterate, if Biden is so far gone, trump should have no reason to duck debates as he’s done like the total fucking coward he is.

Didn’t see the presser, but it’s good Biden immediately responded so there isn’t just one side of the story for people to chew on overnight and into tomorrow.

3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

don't get fresh, Cotton Mather.

dixiehack likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Button, Button, Who’s Got the Button?

Driftwood likes this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Slacker likes this.
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If the Dems make a move it's going to be soon.

Get Kamala in the seat now and she brings Gavin aboard.

People will scream 12th Amendment! But ...

Answer: This is one of those rules that many people get wrong. There actually is nothing in the U.S. Constitution that prevents candidates for President and Vice President who live in the same state from running together. As a practical matter, it might be a bad idea, since presidential tickets are often put together to create geographic diversity. But, having two from the same state is permissible.

The confusion comes from a misinterpretation of the Constitution. Article II, paragraph 3 states that "The electors ... shall vote for two persons, of whom one at least shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves." It’s a bit of unclear, but what it prohibits is an elector from casting both of his or her votes for candidates from the same state in which the elector lives.​

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story...resident-vp-candidates-same-state/4089264001/

It's getting worse for Joe. Last night was a disaster. Yes, he got thru it but the Mexico thing pissed off Axelrod and the drumbeat is going to get louder and louder and louder.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Clyburn should have set down the law four years ago.

"I'll get you South Carolina and the momentum needed to pull this off. But on inauguration day you announce you're serving a single term, and you better pick a VP who can win in 2024."

Nine months of trying to choreograph a campaign where you hold your breath every time your candidate speaks.

Looking forward to hearing him speak about his "recent" meeting with Polish President Helmut Kohl.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Cain'ing is coming.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

One explanation is that Trump has simply achieved much more success in politics than he ever did, relatively speaking, in New York City real estate or on network TV. For all of his tabloid omnipresence, Trump never had anything like the presidential bully pulpit.

This shouldn't be difficult for people to understand, but I know it is.

To succeeed -- really succeed -- in most things, you need to be competent. To do well in business, it's never about "dominating" people, it's about having a product or service that people actually want, and then having the savvy (and knowing how to use the leverage the demand for what you have gives you) to market it well. To succeed in entertainment, you need to be entertaining enough for people to want to watch you. We've destroyed that free competition to a degree, but it is still largely true, and over any length of time most people who have success are successful because they were able to navigate whta is a survival of the fittest world.

Politics is an outlier to that. The only thing you need to be competent at to get in office and have the power that comes with politcs, is being able to bullshit enough people into supporting you over the other person. It's particularly amenable to the set of skills Donald Trump has. ... he's a bullshit artist, and most of the population is the lowest common denominator who will buy bullshit hook, line and sinker if it is tailored well to their close-minded ideals. So he's made for it.

He's been successful in politics, and that gives him the ability to push other people in politics around in a way he can't in all the other things he really has never been as successful at as he wants people to believe.

I don't know why it takes a full story to point that out. For me, saying "he's successful in politics" isn't something that is all that noble to me. Maybe it's not as notorious in my mind as being a successful serial killer, but he's not successful at anything that is all that productive or is additive to the lives of a majority of people other than him, in my opinion.

misterbc and HanSenSE like this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ragu, if we are to remain a constitutional democracy, a proposition in doubt at the moment, or even have a functioning government of any kind, we need people who are good at politics.

misterbc, FileNotFound and Driftwood like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted