1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think what Ragu was getting at is we pay way more attention to politics than the median American voter. There are acres of folks who emerge from their cocoon every four years about the time Halloween candy gets marked down and go “So who’s running this year?” And the ones who aren’t like that are already unshakable for red team or blue team.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

A corollary to "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

And Trump is older than all those too, so.....

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You're right, there is that element to it. But the subtext for both of us is whether there's a dormant racist attitude prevailing among enough Americans that they were triggered by a Black man getting elected. Ragu would argue that it's political attitudes and we all criticism each other and the fact we elected Obama twice shows we are moving past the dormant racism. I argue there were dog whistles showing people were indeed triggered and the country started swinging hard the other way with some very questionable candidates.

I mean we elected a guy and he continues to be a viable candidate who told us Mexico sends us the vile and filth to infect our precious population. He said a rally full of white supremacist shouting "you will not replace us" were full of fine people. His minions routinely sympathize with racist people and ideas. Not only do I think the dormant racism is there, but it's waking up.

OscarMadison and tapintoamerica like this.
  5. Twirling Time

I had to double check the barcode — it's been around for a while (first one was invented in 1952) but the modern retail UPC code didn't go into use commercially until 1974. Honestly I might have only been a little ahead of Poppy Bush noticing them at the checkout.

I like how Aldi makes their whole packaging a big long UPC barcode on two sides to ease speed of checkout. That was a Six Sigma move.

Neutral Corner and garrow like this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Did those tiki torch fucks say "you" or "Jews?" I thought it was the latter.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The amount of dumb racist jokes I heard during Obama’s terms was staggering. “They’re going to redo the Rose Garden and plant watermelon instead haw haw haw.” Meanwhile, which idiot President had their wife actually redo the Rose Garden?

OscarMadison, dixiehack and HanSenSE like this.
  8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And that is exactly why I'm going to refuse to get worked up about this as November approaches. I'll go to the polls, cast my 73 votes and go home knowing I did my part.

I sure as hell am not going to swing any of these wild-eyed nuts. They're too far gone.

maumann and HanSenSE like this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

THIS.! Times Eleventy billion!

That they think Harris will waltz onto the top of the ticket and enjoy Biden's coattails is beyond naive. As are their hissy fits over student loan forgiveness. Same for the Bernie Bros. As long as Trump is drawing air as a free man, Job One is keeping him out of office and defeating his lackeys.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
  11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

12. Twirling Time

Biden vowed in 2020 to pick a woman VP. He could've picked better.

Lots of amazing Democratic women (binders full of them!) have stepped to the fore in the intervening four years. But some of them were there in 2020 too.

I'll hold to my prediction of Tim Scott as Stinky's veep.

Draft saved Draft deleted