1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Add Howard and Maryland to that list as well.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

DC's version of the Big 5.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Southern Miss head coach Jay Ladner suffered some sort of "heart related" emergency (another statement from the family makes it sound like a heart attack) and has stepped away from the program. Assistant Juan Cardona coached the team in a win against Old Dominion on Wednesday.

Program Statement Regarding Health of Jay Ladner - Southern Miss

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Uh, I don't really think he had much of a choice. His move to Georgetown went down poorly with his team. Heck, PC only had 3 transfers - one was a redshirt with 0 minutes played at the school, one was a grad transfer, and the third was accused of domestic assault and hasn't surfaced anywhere. I think Cooley can coach and he could turn it around there, but I think there's a non-zero chance that the move could have tanked his reputation with enough potential recruits that he struggles.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Detroit loses at Wright State, falls to 0-25. And Mike Davis still gets paid.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Abdullah Olajuwon, Hakeem's son, is a member of that winless Detroit team, I learned today.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Between the Pistons and the Detroit Titans, the Motor City has witnessed some very bad basketball.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

There’s always the Tigers to look forward to.

9. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

Throw in the mess at Michigan and Eastern Michigan (probably the worst MAC team not named Buffalo), and that whole area is just a sad scene.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Was at Siegel Center last night watching VCU win an absolute rock fight with Dayton. Did not come away impressed with the Flyers. The Holmes kid is good but he straight murdered his team at the free-throw line. He went 5-for-13 in a game Dayton lost by two. Nobody scored in the final 3:04. Good energy in the building though.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Grantsketball lives!

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Will Detroit Mercy win a game?

0-25 with six games left. Today on the road at Northern Kentucky, which is 12-12. NK favored by more than a dozen and already won by five in Detroit.

Detroit ends the season with four in a row against winning teams, the last two on the road. Good luck in those.

That leaves its next game, a Valentine’s Day date at home with IUPUI, which has won just six games, two in the conference. One of those was a 12-point win at home over Detroit at the end of December.

The Sagarin ratings don’t have Detroit anywhere near the bottom of the barrel, but IUPUI is ahead of only 11 teams. In other words, they are bad.

I am calling for mercy as Detroit finally wins.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted