1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oakland A's headed to Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 20, 2023.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sure it would. But we can't ask our beloved billionaires to pay money for stadiums (and associated 'development districts') when there are taxpayers who can be extorted out of the money.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Part of the issue is the A's not only want a ballpark, but they want to develop an "entertainment zone" around the yard. Think the Cardinals' Ballpark Village, the area around Oracle Park across the bay, or what the Royals are trying to get done.
    The Coliseum site would be good for that, IMHO, with great freeway access, public transit and the airport nearby. But the A's don't want that, and every other site they've come up with is an environmental or logistical nightmare.
    And, plain and simple, Oakland just can't afford it now. Businesses are fleeing due to the high crime rate, to the point where Newsom ordered in CHP troops to help out.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Make him sell the team. He's hurting MLB.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It is odd that the greatest location for a new stadium in the Bay Area is right where the Coliseum is. Bart, airport, freeway access. I know giving the local team land to develop as they see fit so they can cash in is seen as the usual play these days - but to me - an office park would probably do better as an adjacent development. Build the "entertainment district" into the stadium. Places that rely on gameday foot traffic to survive - tend not to.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree. It's a great location.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The crime situation in Oakland appears to be a show-stopper as much as the lack of an attempt to provide a winning product.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Crime has ebbed and flowed in Oakland for decades. There are lots of people in bigger cities, and there will be lots more crime in bigger cities.

8. DanOregon

Oddly enough - the Coliseum is a relative oasis of crime since it sits in an area largely surrounded by warehouses and other businesses of the type.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

10. DanOregon

A lot of places are closing up in cities, I'm sure the profits just aren't high enough. Im surprised In N Outs don't have a bigger crime problem wherever they are given the long lines - great place to deal drugs.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I have been a bleeding heart but at some point I’ve turned towards we need more police in OAK. I worked there for over 30 yrs, I never thought I’d say that.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One of the best late night fried chicken places in Memphis is in a rough part of town and has armed guards at the door. Two outside, two inside. They lock the door at night and the guy inside unlocks it to let people in two at a time.

At least it did 30 years ago.

Nobody made a national story about “out of control crime” over it.

wicked likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted