1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I think the Chargers have had six: LA Coliseum, Balboa Stadium, Jack Murphy/Qualcomm, StubHub/Dignity Health, SoFi and whatever the Cardinals stadium was called when they moved a game there because of a fire.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’ll guess the Patriots are the team with seven. Harvard, BU (Nickerson), Boston College, Fenway, Schaefer/Sullivan, Gillette and for some inexplicable reason, they had a home game in Birmingham, Alabama.

Giants, I believe, had six: Polo Grounds, Yankee Stafium (old), Yale Bowl, Shea Stadium, Giants Stadium, MetLife.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

OK, I had the Patriots at six, did not know about the Birmingham game. I will count the Chargers as a five, because a game moved because of emergency doesn't count in my book. It wasn't scheduled to be played there.

The Giants do not count because they left the Polo Grounds long before 1960.

One more team with seven, another with six.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I want to say the Saints because of the 2005 Katrina season, but I can only come up with five total — Tulane Stadium, the Superdome, Tiger Stadium, the Alamodome and Giants Stadium. Unless they played a game in Houston along the way because of another hurricane?

5. micropolitan guy

7: Las Vegas Raiders (Kezar, Candlestick, Youell Field, Oakland Coliseum, California Memorial Stadium, LA Coliseum, Allegient).

6: Tennessee Titans (Jeppeson, Rice, Astrodome, Liberty Bowl, Vanderbilt, Nissan Stadium).

The Packers are the only team still playing in the same stadium they played in in 1960. However, Lambeau Field of today is 100% different than Lambeau Field of 1960.

The Bears are next. They have played in old/new Soldier Field since 1970.

Chronology of home stadiums for current National Football League teams - Wikipedia

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
    Lt.Drebin and Batman like this.
  6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The Bears played in at least two Big Ten stadiums during that stretch: Northwestern and Illinois.

And just like Lambeau Field, the current Spaceship erected on the former Soldier Field site is very different from the previous stadium.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I also might have guessed the Cardinals, but I think they have played home games in five different stadiums: two in Chicago, one in St. Louis and two in the Phoenix area.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I found out why the Pats played in Birmingham. Fenway was unavailable for the ‘68 opener and the AFL decided to have the game there to see whether Birmingham wanted a pro franchise.

https://www.bhamwiki.com/w/1968_Boston_Patriots_vs._New_York_Jets_football_game

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I can think of five Patriots places and there has to be something weird like the Lynn Bowl.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I was going to likewise guess the Niners because of stadium moves and because of the pandemic. Turns out it was also only five: Kezar, Candlestick, Levi’s, Stanford (1989) and Arizona (2020).

11. micropolitan guy

The thing about the Raiders is, none of those places they played were "emergency" stadiums because one place or another was unavailable or because of construction or bad weather or a conflict with baseball, etc. They played where they played. The game at Cal was moved because capacity at Memorial Stadium in that era was far larger than the Coliseum and they were hosting the Super Bowl champion Dolphins and they wanted to cash in. Typical Al Davis move.

I can think of five Patriots places and there has to be something weird like the Lynn Bowl.

Harvard, Nickerson Field, BC Alumni Stadium and Fenway in Boston proper, and both Foxboro stadiums.

I also might have guessed the Cardinals, but I think they have played home games in five different stadiums: two in Chicago, one in St. Louis and two in the Phoenix area.

Cardinals last played in Chicago in 1959. Cutoff date for the question was 1960. I think the Cardinals played in Sportsmen's and Busch I stadiums in St. Louis.

12. micropolitan guy

Who is the only player in MLB history to hit for the cycle, hit three homers in a game and have an unassisted triple play?

Draft saved Draft deleted