1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It’s almost as though those who hate one group of people not like them hate lots of groups of people not like them.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And people wonder why we need to teach about the racist past of this country because we're living in the racist present.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Neutral Corner

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Allison Russell is an angel among us. And her music will make you uncomfortable. Her music will make you uncomfortable even if you are relatively progressive and open-minded, because it will challenge you to be even more so, because that’s the right thing to do.

Not that I think any of the GOPers involved in this has listened to a single note of Allison Russell’s music. But they should, and so should you, because it’s awesome.

One of my favorite Allison Russell tracks was on a Billy Joe Shaver tribute album released in 2022. Her rendition of “Tramp on Your Street” showed how music can forge an impermeable bond between a queer black woman from the streets of Montréal and an irascible old white guy from deep Texas. She did the song with such respect, and I think Billy Joe would’ve loved it.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen someone DB themselves in the very next post. That’s amazing.

sgreenwell and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

We really need to change it from D_B to an N_C (with respect, of course)

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

San Francisco apologizes to Black residents for decades of racist policies

It is the first reparations recommendation of more than 100 proposals made by a city committee to win approval. The African American Reparations Advisory Committee also proposed that every eligible Black adult receive a $5 million lump-sum cash payment and a guaranteed income of nearly $100,000 a year to remedy San Francisco's deep racial wealth gap.

11. Neutral Corner

When I make a post like the first one, where the link is unclear about the subject, I typically repost it with the hed from the article to clarify things, then delete the unclear post.

I missed the "delete the first one" step that time.

12. Neutral Corner

Re the two Black Tennessee legislators who were expelled and then re-elected,, the Tenn. House isn't willing to have them back simply because they got elected again.

matt_garth likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted