1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Just as true in ancient Egypt or Mesopotamia or the Indus Valley.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I get that. I wasn't necessarily talking about living on Constitution Ave. or the like. I meant the area in general. In 1993 when I was in the Navy, I got flagged for White House communication staff duty. During the process, I - as an E4 - asked the guy - an E9 - doing the screening where we were supposed to live. He laughed and said even on his salary, he had to live nearly two hours outside DC.
    I have a brother-in-law who is a defense contractor and has an apartment in or around Crystal City. I've never asked what his rent is. Maybe I will.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You go 30 years of unleashing the power of unlimited, artificially priced credit on an entire economy. ... and in the housing market (which is an ideal parking spot for the excess capital you unleash), you get artificial scarcity, rent serfs and half-vacant locales owned by absentee landlords.

It starts with the disastrous idea of fixing the cost of money to pull demand forward (thinking that somehow creates something-for-nothing prosperity). But what it really does is exact a price in the form of a complicated series of chain reactions (people reacting to the distorted environment you've created). And you get all of the "unintended" consequences that brings us to 2024 and conversations like this.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The canary-in-the-coal-mine station at my exit has raised prices 60 cents overnight. Apparently the petroleum industry is going all in for Stinky.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Cape Cod's absentee landlords (not quite accurate for vacation homes) are one reason our town enjoys a very high level of municipal services. It's a politician's delight. Half the taxpayers aren't voters, and it's the half that pays the most in taxes.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Crystal City is expensive. Even if he lives alone, almost guarantee he pays more than $2k a month.

About the military, one great thing is that a lot of them buy here, and then move away, renting their houses out to other guys rotating in and out. A house two doors from mine is one of them, and it’s rented for well below market value for the entire time I’ve lived here. It’s a pretty robust market.

OTOH, I worked with an O5 who commuted from Fredericksburg every day because he wanted multiple acres of land, which just isn’t happening inside the Beltway.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Martin Act gives the state arbitrary authority it shouldn't have over people. But unfortunately, we have all kinds of laws that have codified a nanny state at best and the law being made pliable enough to be oppressive and arbitrarily be used to violate people's civil rights at worst. It makes the country weaker.

Trump might have "fashioned" himself as all kinds of things, and we all know he's actually just a garden-variety con man. But what happened in that court room wasn't just, and was actually antithetical to a free society.

We have a civil legal system that gives ample and fair opportunity for anyone Donald Trump defrauds to seek a remedy, compensation, damages, etc. In this case, none of the supposed victims ever claimed any victimhood! None of THEM sued him. The main "victim." ... testified FOR Trump at the trial.

We have criminal law that could have addressed anything criminal Donald Trump did. This wasn't about anything like that, either.

What happened here was something New York should NOT be proud of. People are happy about it because it's Donald Trump and he's a douche, but when you weaponize the "law" on that rationale that you want to go after the guy you think is a jerk, you make the justice system weaker.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
    Batman likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Who's the victim if John D. Moneybags doesn't pay his taxes?

Don't we have a lot of victimless crimes in this country?

9. The Big Ragu

Trump wasn't in that court room for any crime. It was a civil trial. And he wasn't in the court room for tax fraud.

Let's be exact about what happened. It was a straight, "He defrauded someone else. ... except THEY aren't the ones making that claim, and in fact they are testifying FOR him."

The Martin Act allowed Letitia James to argue a civil fraud when nobody actually involved in the activity was alleging any fraud, and a judge was empowered to just substitute his judgment about what should have happened over what the willing participants were perfectly OK with.... as evidenced by the fact that THEY could have sued if THEY thought they had been wronged.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This is an outstanding example of me being just as willing to see the dark hand of conspiracy as my MAGA neighbors. By the time I was done with breakfast and drove back by, the posted price went back to where it was last night. Apparently they programmed in the mid-grade price for regular unleaded by mistake.

MisterCreosote and I Should Coco like this.
  11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot, Taylor Swift!

2muchcoffeeman and dixiehack like this.
  12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Moving here as an O4 has been pretty tough. Best school/drive/rent we could find for a family of four was nearly $4K between Springfield and Burke.

I'll get promoted and get some relief in July, but it's been pretty tough so far. I can't imagine where I'd have to live as a captain, or young enlisted Soldier.

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted