1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

2. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

The state shouldn't regulate financial transactions even when they could create systemic risk to the banking system because FREEDOM! It's unjust because it's not FREEDOM!!!

It's perfectly just for the state to regulate business conduct if the law provides for it through civil action. That's what happened.

It has nothing to do with the perceived economic oppression you seem so paranoid about.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

1. Who gives a fuck, because, karma.
    2. Maybe you should have been Trump's lawyer.

tapintoamerica and Woody Long like this.
  4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

$7 bill ... for that collection of MAGA Horse's asses?

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Once upon a time I was falling in love
    But now I'm only falling in line
    There's nothing I can do
    A total eclipse of the Don

Once upon a time there was light in my life
    But now there's only Trump in the dark
    Nothing I can say
    A total eclipse of the Don

(Turn around, white guys....turn around, white guys)

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If it's a totalitarian state maybe. In a free society. ... people do business with each other without the state arbitrarily setting terms.

Deutsche Bank lent Donald Trump money. They collateralized it with property. It's up to Deustche Bank to decide whether that collateral protects their interests. There is no legitimate reason in a free society for the state of New York or Letitia James to ever have her nose in their business.

In that courtroom she was arguing that he had lied about the value of that collateral and had defrauded Deutsche Bank. That's not HER place. Deutsche Bank could have (should have) been doing it's own due diligence -- for example, measured the size of his apartment -- and even absent that, THEY ARE NOT claiming they were defrauded. If they are fine, there was no legal harm. The state of New York claims that it is somehow protecting other people with an action like that. But it's nonsense. ... and authoritarian. Let's say you sell your home. Let's say some law lets the state go after you for misvaluing the home. ... they are just protecting people in some vague way that makes no sense. So now a judge gets to substitute his judgment for how much your house was really worth. ... and tell you you have to give some of the proceeds back to New York state (in what could be argued is an extortion). That, despite the fact that the buyer who willingly paid what you sold the house for was fine with it and never claimed you did anything wrong. Take "Donald Trump" and "karma" and all the non sequitors you have thrown into your posts out of it. ... and it's the same exact thing.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
  7. The Big Ragu

1) I give a fuck because when you take that attitude, you erode everyone's individual rights. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. Today it's Donald Trump. When it's you tomorrow. ... you endorsed it when you didn't give a fuck because it was karma for a guy you think is a dick.

2) His lawyer did not help him. ... the constant bullshit and the attacks. They should have just argued it in kind of the way I am suggesting. But the law itself still was the problem, not his lawyer. He should have never been in a court room in the first place. Once he was, he didn't stand a chance and that particular judge given the ability to substitute anything he wanted for the supposed "harm" Trump did was going to hit him hard.

8. Woody Long

By this line of logic, we shouldn't regulate banks at all. And why should we? 1929 was 95 years ago. The banksters haven't done anything bad in quite a long time!

TowelWaver likes this.
  9. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

waaa waaa waaa

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Pump and dump, like everything MAGA. Pile in while you can.

11. The Big Ragu

This wasn't a regulatory issue. I was posting about a civil legal case brought by a district attorney under the auspices of a law that allows the state of New York to arbitrarily stick its nose into private business transactions. It had zero to do with bank regulation. 1929 or whatever other stupid thing you are about to post next had zero to do with it. But good for you for getting me respond to your dancing bear act, I guess. I am sure it's fun for you.

12. Woody Long

"Arbitrarily," as if she only did it because it's Trump.

You do understand that a law is passed by legislators who are elected by the people and do the people's will? So, therefore, the people of the state of New York's duly elected representatives want the Attorney General to be able to enforce the law through civil action. Like she did here.

That's called "democracy."

Draft saved Draft deleted