1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Volt a Failure - GM to Layoff 1,300

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 2, 2012.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I don’t know. I’ve only talked with a couple of people who have driven the Lightning for reviews and towed large equipment (boats, trailers, etc.).

I have seen the Rivian in my city and can’t imagine it towing a large boat or other big items. It looks like a fancy SUV with a bed instead of a legit pickup that could do real towing work.

One guy in California said the Lightning has great torque, power, acceleration and was a joy to drive, and incredibly comfortable. That was great until he hooked up his saltwater boat. Then his planned route became much more challenging due to the dropoff of miles before needing a charge.

I can’t imagine towing a large camper with one, either. Or for serious farm work, or for hauling things like snowmobiles in cold weather.

The EVs aren’t there yet for those kind of things.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Of course, most truck owners aren't doing those things either. The number of used trucks with pristine beds that have never held more than a set of golf clubs is amazing.

dixiehack and SixToe like this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The only Rivians I ever see really are the Amazon delivery trucks.

They can't use them in my neighborhood, though. ... I only see gas-powered vans. I am guessing it is way too impractical in an area like this with the volume of packages Amazon delivers and the traffic getting too and from and all the stopping and starting.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What if you are like the millions of Americans who live in apartments?

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My uncle had one back in the 70s. Have no idea how he got it --- or even why he got it. Or how the fuck it got replenished. Or really anything other than it mesmerized me as a 9-year-old.

I'm guessing I'd feel some anxiety if I was making a 300-mile trip to Miami, say, next month to watch the pro tennis tournament.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

True, and for many of them if they get “off road” in a mud spot at the travel ball field they have to get it washed quickly. But the millions of boaters, hunters, RVers and farmers won’t be driving EVs for quite a while, if ever.

Nattily dressed trout anglers, though, might be a target demographic. :D

9. BTExpress

OK. I pull over at a charging station in West Palm Beach, having gone 240 miles (160 fewer than I currently can go in my gasoline vehicle).

How long before my car is charged?

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

30-45 minutes, right?

11. BTExpress

Never done it. Don't know. Anything longer than five minutes is a deal breaker for me, though. Ten minutes if you really twist my arm.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I’m north of Atlanta at the moment and just saw a slew of Amazon delivery vans. Some looked like normal gas-guzzlers and others were of a modern design, leading me to think they are EV. But like you, I wonder about the comparison of the gas v. EV with all the starting and stopping. Maybe they have it figured out.

Draft saved Draft deleted