1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Volt a Failure - GM to Layoff 1,300

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 2, 2012.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Pretty certain it’s at least 30 if not 45 or more. You’d have long enough to study up about the sinking coastline and rising oceans that will make the Florida Ridge the next hot property.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

15 - 20 minutes to get to an 80% charge.

Depends on the car / depends on the charger.

https://www.teslaownersflorida.org/Public-News/6284964

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The cool thing about technology is there are enough early adopters to finance the breakthrough improvements that eventually make it practical for schlubs like me.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Keep thinking that.

The Rise of Techno-authoritarianism

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

You can get anything you want
    At Alice’s Restaurant (excepting Alice)

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

There are lots of Rivians around here because I live in the city where the company is based. They look cool during the day. But if one comes up behind you at night, you think you are being attacked by an alien spacecraft. There are a couple of other vehicles with the weird headlights like the Rivian has. They freak you out.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Stopping and starting helps with mileage in an EV or hybrid normally, because of regenerative braking. I get my highest rates in light traffic, as annoying as that is. Like normal gas mileage, the quickest thing that'll burn it is going 70 to 90 mph, vs. slower cruising speeds.

SixToe likes this.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Electric cars need transmissions.

9. sgreenwell

You're not stopping once in a gasoline vehicle for more than 10 minutes anyway during a 300+ mile journey? Also, at that distance, you're now in the time and money frame that it might make more sense to fly and Uber anyway. I'm in the Houston metro area, so we might drive to Dallas, Austin and San Antonio, but otherwise we'd just fly.

2muchcoffeeman and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hey!!!

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Lunch, yes. Some antique or fabric store wife wants to visit, yes.

Enabling car to continue running, no. Unless it breaks down.

12. sgreenwell

Plenty of recharging spots are designed with this in mind, like they throw banks of 6 to 12 in places like this or this. Or at the Cracker Barrel, if you prefer.

Draft saved Draft deleted