1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Volt a Failure - GM to Layoff 1,300

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 2, 2012.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The grail, of course, is coming up with a way for the EV to continually charge the battery while driving. Figure that out, and a huge chunk of our energy mess is solved.

SixToe and Driftwood like this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Would be cool if they could find a way to easily pop the battery in and out, so you could have two or three. And be able to charge one while the other is in use.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

BTExpress likes this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Though not completely. Some trolley systems use inductive charging at stops, and diesel locomotives have used regenerative ("dynamic") braking for decades -- but mostly to manage trains on steep grades, not recharge batteries.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/advice/how-do-evs-charge-themselves-while-driving

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Is this nationwide cellular outage bad for Biden?

And whose fault is it? Solar flares? Russia? China? Aliens? Elon Musk?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Rivian, Lucid's 2024 production targets disappoint as EV demand wanes

The EV sales we saw the last 5 to 10 years or so weren't because EVs make much sense compared to a gas-powered car for too many people. It was largely driven by Tesla being a cool toy. ... and ZIRP -- zero interest rate policy. People buying Teslas were buying status symbols / something cool, they weren't buying a car the way most other people do.

The bogey that made that possible was a stock market that made people feel rich on paper due to low rates blowing it up, and low auto financing rates (part and parcel f the same thing) that had people across the market driving way more car than they would have chosen, or could have ever afforded, without a distorted rates market.

It's why auto loan delinquincies are starting to rise now.

In the face of higher rates, Tesla has had to drop prices dramatically, and its sales still look to have peaked. Yesterday on the call, and in inteviews today, the Rivian founder and CEO explained the really tough quarter several times by saying that higher interest rates were making "consumers more conscious and price sensitive."

Take away those luxury car EVs, which were what have really driven the sales the market has, and there hasn't been a very good market for the Nissan Leaf and more "regular" cars like it.

None of that has corrected itself even close to fully. Financial conditions are still insanely loose, even with the overnight rate at 5.25 percent. They have been pumping liquidity in via the banks -- because they started to fail and they panicked when their tightening attempt began to cause problems. It's why you see stocks still bubbling up more again and things like NVIDIA going from a half trillion dollar market cap to more than $2 trillion in a matter of months.

This is the reality: Yesterday, Rivian's results showed that they lost $43,000 per vehicle in the fourth quarter! A while back, Ford revealed that it was losing $47,000 per electric vehicle.

There is no market for these cars without the fiscal and monetary distortions creating a survival of the unfittest environment. Unless something changes dramatically with the price of gas, it's going to take more of the fiscal and monetary subsidization (and the industry still isn't profitable) to keep these businesses going, or it's going to take internal combustion engines being outlawed and forcing people into EVs (and then at a cost to other things).

But right now?

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And it looks sexy as hell. Surprisingly enough.

8. The Big Ragu

Sexy is a bit of a stretch. But I just looked because you said that, and I agree, it is a way nicer looking car than the old Prius was.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wait till you see one in person. I swear my Alfa gave it a once-over look!

10. The Big Ragu

Yeah, but your Alfa is horndog that doesn't discriminate. I saw it looking over a Kia Soul.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think if you look at Ford and Rivian, their efforts in EVs have never made much sense. People who wants trucks and muscle cars probably do not give the slightest shit about them being electric, and this might even be an active mark against them. Tesla is run by a mad man that has now alienated many people, regardless of what you think about the merits of the car.

Meanwhile, Hyundai and Kia seem to be doing fine with their EV sales, and hybrid vehicles also seem fine. Their cars are also consistently higher rated on things like Car & Driver as well. I suspect EV buyers are probably doing more comparison shopping and checking reviews than other segments of the market. I'm obviously biased, because I have one and like mine - I don't think they're for everyone. If you rent, or if you don't want to drop $30k to $50k on a new or practically new car, or if you regularly drive 200+ miles a day, then a gas or hybrid option makes more sense.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted