1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

He's doing nothing more than trying to distance himself from the fucking catastrophe he caused.

franticscribe and Neutral Corner like this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

This IVF stuff is rich, but what I haven't seen a lot of folks mention yet is that this is very much a part of the same theological coin that did in the likes of Todd Akin and the other horrible people who claim stuff like that rape exceptions don't matter because the creation of life in that process "is God's will." Because that seems pretty explicitly mentioned in the oft-quoted opinion or concurrence or whatever, and I believe is also the justification the Catholic Church has given for prohibiting IVF on ecclesiastical grounds.

The funny thing is that it is relatively morally consistent. If conception constitutes an undeniable act of God's will, so does "barrenness," (not to mention, for that matter, impotence) and to be frank, infertility is pretty much the only women's concern that gets much airtime in the Old Testament. In a real graceful touch, the Catholic Bishops' document I linked up there conflates Lot's daughters getting him drunk and having sex with him after the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah with IVF as similarly immoral "methods."

I think I've found the most ironic thing about all this, which some of the Republicans have found while feverishly walking this story back. After the pill and abortion, unwed pregnancy is kind of the last, best means of moral condemnation available to someone who wishes to pass judgement on a woman for, well, enjoying sex for non-procreative reasons. And yet, another justification the Catholics above cite is that procreation should not exist outside of sex. But, possibly because the people who don't want to make babies but do tend to be poor, unmarried and of color, their sex is bad, but for the rich (probably) white folks who can fork over $10K for IVF, maybe y'all should just go at it again?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

In Alabama, killing kittens might soon be worse than actually killing a kitten.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Slacker and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Have a gift link. Maybe the best thing Alexandra Petri ever wrote.

https://wapo.st/3T7dUlM

tapintoamerica likes this.
  10. tapintoamerica

I looked up the historical average price of gas in the US. The weekly list goes back to 1990.
    I had forgotten this, but the average price of gas fell by $2.00/gallon in the Fall of 2008, when the economy as a whole was going to hell.
    In fact, the price fell by $1.00/gallon in just five weeks -- the five weeks leading up to the election.
    Does anybody remember why?

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Less consumption in a recession.
    Gas Prices Hit a New High — Prices in 2008 Impacted Americans More

12. tapintoamerica

The declining consumption explains the rise in prices, correct? Did consumption suddenly resume in the second half? The economy as a whole still sucked. I remember that much. It's why my career got executed during that time frame.
    I got a C in my one and only college economics class. I'm clueless.

upload_2024-2-23_20-6-19.png

Draft saved Draft deleted