1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Putin has turned the Twitter bots up to 11 this morning to go after Cavuto for cutting off and fact checking Cheeto Jesus.
    I know they are bots because the population of the Earth is 7.9 billion, and they're aren't enough people to post all that stupidity.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

O.J. didn't have much in liquid assets after paying for his defense in the criminal trial and he moved to Florida before the civil trial. Florida has some very friendly laws that shielded his home there from being forceably sold to satisfy the judgment.

He also lives largely off his NFL pension and federal law prevents the attachment or garnishment of a pension. He's also done other things, like trying to assign the rights to his book to his children, to try to avoid the judgment, but the Goldmans have been diligent and largely successful at piercing those shields and gaining control over them.

There are two big differences here: First, New York requires Trump to post the judgment (or a bond) if he wants to appeal. I don't believe Simpson ever appealed. Second, even though Trump lives in Florida, he has significant assets in New York that can be attached to enforce the judgment, the largetof which is The Trump Organization, which is the owner of his real estate in New York, Florida and elsewhere. So he won't get the benefit of Florida's homestead protections on Mar-a-Lago the way that Simpson did in order to avoid the judgment. And The Trump Organization now has a court-appointed special master who will have to approve any transfers, which will prevent some of the Simpson-style shadiness (and Alex Jones-style shadiness) of hiding assets to avoid the judgment.

Trump is in a vice on this. He could win on appeal. I think the odds are low, but it is possible. But he has to post the judgment in order to appeal, most of his wealth is not liquid, and he is running out of time to do it.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

In a vise, not a vice, though I appreciate the sentiment.

matt_garth and franticscribe like this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I’ve been amazed at how little caterwauling I’ve seen from the Right about this. I guess Trump grifting is OK, but LaPierre doing it was a bridge too far.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Homelander shoes.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I've always struggled with homonyms.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Is this something they have to do after the Dominion suit?

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Probably on the line between “have to do” and “prudent thing to do.”

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted