1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There was a multi-episode plot where Schiff was up for re-election and crossed an old friend, a political power broker, who tried to push him out of office. I think he ended up winning the election, though, and then they just dropped it. When Schiff left it wasn't well explained what happened to him, from what I recall. I think, according to Wiki (and without looking it up), they said he retired and went to work for the Simon Wiesenthal Center or something like that.
    None of the DAs had good exits. Almost all of the cops and ADAs got written out, even if it was really awkwardly ("Is this because I'm a lesbian?"), but for some reason the DAs just vanished and if they were lucky got a couple lines of dialogue in next season's premiere.

McCoy also had a later-season story arc where he was tangling with the New York governor and his wife, who were both corrupt and power hungry. Maybe that's why this one didn't really click for me. Five or six years ago Jack McCoy took on the governor and won. Now he's getting waylaid by the mayor? Feels like the '95 Magic beating Michael Jordan in the Eastern Conference finals and then getting clobbered by the Rockets.

justgladtobehere and sgreenwell like this.
  2. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Regarding Waterston, I always read that throughout his career, he was a major player in performing in NYC's annual Shakespeare summer stuff. Do I remember that right? If so, did anyone ever see him? Was he good? I seem to think he might've been so good at McCoy and long courtroom soliloquies and banter because of the Shakespeare training.

OscarMadison and Webster like this.
  3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I recently saw a repeat of an L&O episode that always intrigued me.

Southerlyn, McCoy, and Branch are doing the post trial walk to the elevator when something drops out of Southerlyn 's bag. Branch and McCoy bend over to pick it up and react with surprise. It's never explained, but after her being fired I thought it was some nugget suggesting that was how they found out she was gay.

The ripped from the headlines stuff has gotten a bit over the top, even for L&O.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Was this around the time he pulled the plug on his wife?

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My old job used to have an event every summer for Shakespeare in the Park. I saw Waterston when he starred in the Tempest and I think he was also in the production of Hamlet I saw as well. Those are great events, with the sun setting right behind the actors as the production continues.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
    UNCGrad likes this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My nuttiest Facebook friend attended the Twin Peaks convention in that little town in Oregon or Washington, or wherever it is, this weekend.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

My mother had a bunch of tv crushes. She hated golf, but would watch Rory McIlroy, because he a was cute, good Irish-Catholic boy.

Waterston was another for some reason. My parents had a house in the same town Waterston had a house. My sister was worried my mother would be arrested for stalking if she ever saw him.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Might have been, but I can't remember exactly. I think the political storyline was a season or two later, but IIRC they were both when Ross was the second chair to McCoy.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sex in the City?

Draft saved Draft deleted