1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

An abominable loss at home by Sparty to 13th place Ohio State. Should knock them from a 9 seed onto the bubble.

Ohio State's bench stormed the court.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Also the lone non-Big East team in the '85 Final Four (unless you pay attention to the NCAA records, in which the Big East three were the only teams in the Final Four).

3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

This is bullshit. In the '90s, we were too ironically detached to give a shit about sports. Yeah man whatever, I'm just here in my flannel to comment on how much sports suck and how they contribute to our national patriarchy.

The sorta ironic thing is this is how college kids are now, at least in my neck of the woods. There's just about nothing anyone can do to generate any sustained interest. A lot of free shit will get them there, but they won't come back after that. Obviously the students are more into it in ACC country, but I wonder how much of yesterday's storm was made up of punks who were casual followers, if that, and knew they could make it on to teevee if Wake Forest somehow upset Duke.

4. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Reading comprehension is not your friend.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My point is that there are preventative measures that can be taken - barriers, limited access to the court (putting students on BOTH ends of a court is ridiculous, place them around the home team to give the visiting team a chance) not to mention a security phalanx that can limit where the students can go - give them some of the court once the game ends.

And I do realize gates or hard barriers aren't going to be allowed so close to a court - you'd see more players hurt on some of those than a random fan.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

The NBA and its arenas keep fans off the court, as do many college venues. It is entirely preventable.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If Vandy fans ever have reason again to storm the court, they'd have to bring stepladders.

[​IMG]

Hermes, HanSenSE and franticscribe like this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the Crash Davis line to the manager in Bull Durham: “Scare ‘em. They’re kids. Scare ‘em.”

Announce before the game that any student who is recognized on video with being on the court will automatically be suspended from school for the rest of the semester. Sorry, take your classes all over again. Already paid your tuition and room and board for the semester? Tough shit, kiss your money goodbye.

And if it happens a second time, you’re expelled.

Problem solved.

HanSenSE and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. Starman

Expelled on strike one. All your college credits voided.
    Add on conviction for felony trespass and inciting a riot. The next floor you storm will be in the Shawshank Penitentiary shower room.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A lot of the court stormers are just fans and ex-students.

11. Starman

The express ride to PMITA prison will take care of them.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Fine. Arrest and charge them then.

Obviously, all of them can’t be arrested. But grab a few of them, and then after a while, people will start getting the hint.

Draft saved Draft deleted