1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I’d be fascinated to know how much action Draft Kings or Fan Duel takes one of of those lesser soccer leagues. Presumably there are people who are from those countries or are fans of certain players, but I can’t think that the Czech or Danish league get more than a handful of bettors.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

For those hitting rock bottom

3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

That was a great skit.

Cause you're not a loser. Your friend is.
    They say the house always wins. Well now YOU'RE the house. And your friend is probably gonna lose his.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

When Kenan Thompson says “bets on random wnba game”, you can substitute "bets adjusted Syracuse line"

justgladtobehere likes this.
  5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

POINDEXTER. We are here to support @Cosmo. We should focus our mocking efforts on @TheSportsPredictor for not only placing a wager on a spring training opener, but accidentally betting on the wrong team!

justgladtobehere likes this.
  6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

At least I predicted it right!

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

On some of the smaller sites, my action on Friendlies, WC qualifiers, African Cup, English championship, Belgian, Danish, Swedish WOULD move lines. A $400 in one direction would often bump up a -125 to a -140.

dixiehack and Webster like this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Bets Korean baseball because Doosan's on a heater

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We have a family friend who played in the Austrian soccer league. I never bet on his game, but others who did say that after they won a couple, they were capped out at something like $20 per soccer bet.

exmediahack likes this.
  10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Then I’ll split them and draw to two 16s.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's always a fun feeling, isn't it?
    Split 8s, get another 8. Split that and get a 5 and another 8. Now you're committed, so you hit the 13 and get a 4; split the second set of 8s and get a 9 and a 10.
    Last 8 you get a 2, double down and get a 4.
    So now you're sitting there with four shitty hands including a double down, and about half your bankroll is riding on this one hand after you'd decided to press your bet a little bit.
    But, hey, at least the dealer has a 5 and you had to have taken all the low cards that would help them make a hand, right? Oh, you sure did. Which is why it sucks when the dealer's hole card is a 6 and you don't even need to see them pull the queen to know you are totally and utterly fucked.
    Been almost 20 years since I've played blackjack with any regularity, and I can still remember that disaster scenario playing out once when I'd pressed my bet from the usual $5 to $25 because the shoe was hot. Could have made it a hell of a night and instead it damn near made me want to cry.

swingline and justgladtobehere like this.
  12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

That's why you play. You don't want to spend your night standing on 17 with the dealer showing 5.

Draft saved Draft deleted