1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I also don't get the sudden shock at this. Pats fans were electrocuted carrying a goal post down Rt. 1. A Harvard student was crippled by a goal post being pulled down.

Those were 40 years ago.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that really stopped them in the Dean Dome back when the media were at tables located near the baselines.

Could take credit for saving a kid's life. Had a guy even younger than I one time at the end of a Duke-Chapel Hill game shortly before administration ended Matt Doherty's reign and begged Roy to come home from Lawrence. With a few seconds remaining in the game the home team was going to win over its archival, I left my spot on press row and told that kid that he were smart, he'd follow me. Sure enough, a few seconds later, kids in baby blue went right over where we were sitting.

Press tables are no match for stampeding fans. But if you want to try it out for yourself ...

maumann likes this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Instead of holding some skinny rope trying to keep kids at bay, put up razor wire. (May only apply in Texas.)

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I lived that in the Pennsylvania high-school finals one year, for a different reason.

A brawl broke out on the Giant Center floor between Trinity (Shane Gillis' school!) and Sto-Rox late in the second quarter. And sure enough, the fans came storming straight over the press table I had crawled under. (We had come back out by the time the fracas was controlled.)

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Arizona State (14-14) and Washington (15-13) for receiving votes in this week’s AP poll. In related news, maybe spend an extra 60 seconds looking over your ballot before hitting submit?

sgreenwell and tapintoamerica like this.
  6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Now THIS is an acceptable court storm. Mississippi Valley State wins!!!!!

7. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

In related news, all Big 12 schools dropped Mississippi Valley State from their 24-25 schedules because they're getting too tough.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

After the court-storming, the floor was cleared within 15 seconds. The average age of the stormers appeared to be about 13.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, they beat Detroit Mercy’s court-stormer.

10. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

TIL that Arizona State is the ninth-best team in the country.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Everyone there stormed.

12. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Since corrected. So was the ballot that had Washington instead of Washington State.

It's a wonky-ass system. Easy to screw up if you're not careful.

AP, or whatever software they use, messes up too. Last year, for at least two weeks, St. Mary's votes weren't initially being counted because of how they had the school coded in their software or some nonsense.

Draft saved Draft deleted