1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

According to the vibes, he still wins both Showcase Showdowns.

Hermes likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"OK, so that's a Dave's Double, with large fries and Coke, and a Frosty. And it's 12:15 p.m., so that'll be $37.19. Should've been here an hour ago when it was $8. Sorry."

Sometimes you just have to sit back and marvel at the stupidity of CEOs who come up with ideas like this.

https://nypost.com/2024/02/26/business/wendys-planning-surge-prices-based-on-fluctuating-demand/

HanSenSE and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I saw this earlier and thought to myself, "Half of the people working there screw up when you order everything from $1 menu. How they gonna hald time changes, too?"

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It gets so hard to keep up with when capitalism is good and when it’s bad. When it’s gouging and when it’s not.

I suspect many people won’t want to pay more and will seek alternatives. I suspect some people won’t notice. And I suspect some won’t give a fuck.

And the Shitty New York Post. I’d love to know why it took three bylines to churn out that story. My guess is a reporter wrote a pretty straight story about a business plan. But someone higher up noticed it wasn’t divisive enough and certainty wouldn’t make people BIG MAD.

Well, that’s just not the way they do things. Rewrite with the agenda! Notice there are no actual numbers about what the dynamic pricing might be. Just reaction to what might happen.

The economy is rebounding and inflation is falling. Shitty New York Post to the rescue with the sweet sweet anger its readers crave.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

But also, fuck Wendy’s.

swingline likes this.
  7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Sure. This may well fail and that would be good by me. But the framing of that story is ridiculous.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I pulled the New York Post story because, while I know people here don't care for them, they're still fairly straightforward and informative on stuff like this. And they're at the top of the Google searches. It's a pain in the ass to hunt for a version of a news story that's from an "acceptable source."
    Rest assured, the New York Post is not the only outlet reporting this.

And, since it seems appropriate in this case ... Sir, this is a Wendy's.

9. The Big Ragu

Not that the CPI is an accurate measure of anything except the crevices of someone's sphincter at the Bureau of Labor Statistics. And not that consumer prices are inflation, the way people use the word, they are one of many symptoms of inflation.

But the last CPI report showed that consumer prices had risen 3.1 percent from January 2023 to January 2024. Maybe that constitutes "falling" in newspeak.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I don't pay the same price for a hotel in Naples in June as I do in February. My flight to Vegas isn't the same in August as it is in March.

I don't get the idea that dynamic pricing is evil. I understand that the policy may turn people off and hurt a business like Wendy's, but the concept isn't somehow inherently wicked and a conspiracy by big business to stick it to the little guy. Limited resources.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

What is a happy hour if not dynamic pricing?

HanSenSE and Cosmo like this.
  12. The Big Ragu

It doesn't matter what you linked to. Wendy's is going to test surge pricing. THE NEW YORK POST! isn't a response, unless they print something that isn't true and then. ... demonstate WHY it isn't true. It's not that difficult when they have something wrong.

FWIW, surge pricing requires immediate demand. But the only people I have seen use it successfully -- like Uber -- don't have a ton of competition. Drive by any Wendy's and there are going to be at least 4 or 5 other fast food places not far away. So, I could see this having zero effect, if ennough people will stay away from Wendy's during lunch and dinner times and go somewhere else, and their prices never move.

That said, I don't know why you would mess with something that can have negative and permanent impact on your market share in a pretty competitive marketplace. What if someone who stays away and starts to eat at one of your competitors, never comes back? Things do change, and what if 2 years from now everyone is seeing their sales down a little and suddenly the counter isn't as crowded at lunch time?

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted