1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

It's all relative.
    I left the newspaper business in 2012. In 2024, as a high school teacher, I make considerably more than double than I did my last year at the paper.
    My day to day life, I generally live the same lifestyle as I did on the plantation. That enables me to save and have nicer things overall.
    I felt bad because I spent $70 on a pair of running shoes the other day to replace my year-old pair. I got them on closeout from the Brooks outlet for half off.
    Think about that. As a public school teacher, I think I'm in high cotton. That's how poor I was as an assistant sports editor.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

$50+ for running shoes is my "feel bad" threshold.

4. Driftwood

I've been a New Balance 990 devotee for years. They've priced themselves out of my range. I still think they are the best shoes made, but I can't drop nearly $200 for them.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

My fiancée has been a teacher for 18 years and she makes 40 percent more than I made in my best days in journalism. Luckily our state usually pays its educators well.

Driftwood likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This kinda makes me want to post more New York Post stories on relevant stories, like a psychological experiment.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Hey, knock yourself out. Seems like there are better ways to spend time than reading bullshit propaganda.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Same. As someone in golf administration, I make far more than double than I did after 10 years at the same paper. Dropping $1500 on flights/hotels for a week in London would have been a fucking pipe dream as a newspaper reporter. I could barely afford to go insies on a beach house with a group of friends. Not to mention any unexpected expense meant running up more CC debt. Now I can travel fairly comfortably, and I feel like I'm making up for lost time.

MileHigh and Driftwood like this.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If I’m dropping $200 on shoes, they better be cowboy boots.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

Did you try looking on APnews.com first last night?

11. Driftwood

Back when I was running competitively and doing a bunch of races, they were $140, and I'd go through four pair a year.
    Now that they are $200 and I only need one pair a year, I can't do it.
    I know that math doesn't add up, but there is some kind of psychological barrier, I guess.

I don't wear cowboy boots and wouldn't if you paid me $200.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

A good pair of cowboy boots, properly fitted (don’t just walk in the store and grab a random box), will be the most comfortable shoes you own and will last for years.

FileNotFound likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted