1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

BYU-KU on Big XII network….
    It sounds like Goober and Debbie Spaghetti are talking into a walkman while hitting record and hitting play into a speaker.
    Just brutal audio.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Man that Texas kid is a real asshole

Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
  3. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

I thought about this post when I saw Jeff Jones had retired. Sweet 16 and an Elite 8 in his 30s, then finished his career with a middling Sun Belt team and three NCAA appearances (all first-round losses) in his final 24 seasons. I assume he must have had a reason for staying in the state of Virginia (instead of taking bigger jobs elsewhere) but maybe his early UVA successes were just right place, right time.

franticscribe likes this.
  4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

There was a job in between, but at American, so still in the region. My brother-in-law, who played for him and coached under him, said "Said he feels great, but he's like 330lb, has cancer and a recent heart attack, doesn't exercise, eats awful and drinks a half-liter of Coke every morning."

I always wondered how his career (and UVA's hoops trajectory) would have turned out if Jim Copeland had accepted Terry Holland's request to have Dave Odom succeed him as coach. Jones presumably would have been the lead assistant, giving him more time to mature and possibly avoid some of the off-court pitfalls that befell him, potentially setting up a succession plan in the 2000s. (Not for nothing, but maybe Tim Duncan winds up in Charlottesville in that scenario.)

BartonK likes this.
  5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Rick Pitino gets it.

6. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Good to see Flip didn't die and was able to start immediately for Duke.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

YouTube TV now has a “build a multiview” feature. LFG.

MileHigh and franticscribe like this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Dalton Knecht is the Caitlin Clark of men’s hoops.

He’s also putting up the best season in SEC since a guy named Pete in Red Stick played.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If he can only forget who's coaching him beginning in 23 hours when the clock strikes March.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A rare very good basketball player to come out of Colorado. And went to a total nondescript basketball high school here.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Wasn't Knetch only second team all conference last year at Northern Colorado? And now he will make All-American teams.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    MileHigh likes this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Jimmy Dykes predicted on the broadcast last night that Knecht will be the first college player drafted this summer.

Draft saved Draft deleted