1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

"Curb" has had some moments, but I do think it's run its course. Maybe they're bringing on too many guests who can't improvise well or something. (Willie Geist?). Maybe I should go back to some early seasons, but there's so much yelling in these episodes. Why all the yelling? Has it always been like that? I know there's been yelling, especially with Susie, and those moments were special and hilarious. Or when the show escalates to a point when everyone's yelling at Larry. But the constant yelling now, including by Larry, can be really tough to watch.

OscarMadison and TigerVols like this.
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I watched the first two episodes of the new Shogun, and it was really good. Having fond memories of watching the first one as a kid, I had high hopes but was disappointed by the first few trailers. They made it look like Mariko was the main focus, and Blackthorne was a peripheral character.
    That's not the case at all. Blackthorne is still front and center. Although it could be argued Toranaga is really the main focus of this adaptation.

Webster and garrow like this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Jon Stewart breaks news - it sucks when your dog dies. I'm sorry, yes it does hurt when a pet dies - but like other hosts who act like they are the first woman to be pregnant or get cancer, I find using your platform to share stuff like that is the ultimate form of "privilege" - Ellen de Generes melted down, others too - sure, yes - it personalizes the hosts, puts them on the same plane, they feel like us when we lose a pet - I'd just prefer hosts would respect their audience and their time better. Am I wrong? Should this go on the "unpopular opinion" thread?

https://deadline.com/2024/02/jon-stewart-breaks-down-tears-tribute-dog-dipper-daily-show-1235839269/

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Certainly not a good look when Richard Lewis dies a day or two later.

7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Everybody loved Scott Van Pelt’s dog essay on Sportscenter, whats the difference with Stewart?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Who knew The Rookie made it to 100 episodes?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There is no difference. I heard Mark Levin interrupt his shouting at clouds long enough to mourn his dog on his show - ok, it makes him more relatable - but when hosts do such a thing, they are diminishing their product, getting down to the level of the Facebook poster grieving their lost pet, but using a national platform to do it. Its not journalism. The biggest thing Big Journalism has going for it are standards, professionalism, news judgement. Stewart ALWAYS likes to have it both ways - similar to what Limbaugh did - reveling and capitalizing on their relevance within political circles, but then saying "Hey, I'm just an entertainer" when questioned on some of their own missteps.
    It doesn't mean I dislike Stewart, I just thought he was better than this.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Isn’t that what we do here on the Pets thread? It’s an outlet we have to express our grief and pay tribute when one of our pets crosses the Rainbow Bridge. Just like that’s an outlet Stewart has to pay his tribute.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE!

Gutter likes this.
  12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

its a fair point given the relative number of episodes/segments Stewart has to work with vs Sportcenter or other outlets ….. he has X air time and he used one of them on this, that’s one way to consider it I hadn’t really thought of

Draft saved Draft deleted