1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He’s not stepping down until after the elections, and he clearly expects the Republicans to get their asses handed to them.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sure. LOL

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Sure what?

6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

About those "every little things" that people are upset that Biden may have promised but did not deliver on and a few things that should have been priorities but weren't... Those concerns might not have been so little to the people on the ground who experienced a more direct impact than you.

While that's no reason to vote for Trump, it's also asking a lot to continually tell folks to cast their votes against him instead of for someone they can believe in. I've always voted Blue and will continue to vote Blue, but it feels dirty because I know the White folks in ties and pantsuits don't care about the people I've taken care of any more than the MAGAs. They're just less destructive when they get their way.

Slacker and Neutral Corner like this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Most scenarios have the GOP gaining back the Senate while the House flips to the Dems. Dems are defending Arizona, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and losing Manchin in West Virginia, Their "best shot" at flipping an R seat? Florida, Texas, Rick Scott and Ted Cruz. Good Luck.

8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

and I am going there... Does Biden own stock in Jeni's Ice Cream? Does he realize he's scarfing down overpriced ice cream while a segment of our population is food insecure? Yes, it is tone deaf and Seth Meyers can take several seats. We expect this fuckery from the Right, but if you're going to claim to be a person of the people, try to avoid waving your 12 dollar a pint ice cream in front of a populace who might not be able to buy a quart of Great Value vanilla for their kids.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    Driftwood likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The Dems can lose one seat with the veep to break ties, but that’s it. Manchin is a given, so the Dems have to run the table everywhere else.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Your point about wanting a candidate worth voting for rather than someone who might win again just because he is better than Trump is a fair one, but I think you are making a bit too much of a big deal about Biden eating some expensive ice cream.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, whether it feels dirty or not, it's a binary choice for the future of the country or not. We've seen it already. If this were a rematch of say 2012 or 2008, it wouldn't be that way. If it were Haley vs. Newsome, I don't think it would be that way. If it came down to Biden vs. Haley, I don't think it would be that way. We have a known evil in front of us that we have to combat head on even if we aren't all that fired up about the army we are sending up against it.
    That having been said, not living in a state that is even remotely up for grabs, you (and I) can cast a protest vote if we like. The fate of democracy rests in the hands of a handful of voters in a handful of states, and November will not a time for hurt feelings.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was listening to Ben Shapiro - yest THAT Ben Shapiro the other day - the guy is the most cogent of the righties. He makes points and talks so fast I'm sure most of it goes over the heads of the audience, but he said Presidential campaigns used to be about developing and promoting policies that 80 percent of the country found acceptable, the "more acceptable" policy candidate would win (the theory went). But now parties are gearing their messaging to "their" 43 percent, ignoring the rest and just banking on winning the thing via heavy turnout (or limiting turnout, some may say). I couldn't disagree with the point. And the rest? the "middle/moderates? they get treated to a special helping of "the other candidate is the Anti-Christ and will sell the US to Mexico/Russia/China."

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted