1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

We have open primaries. The state GOP wants to close them to promote some sort of Republican purity test.
    That would be devastating for anyone in my immediate are who would want to register as a D because nearly all local elections are decided in the GOP primary.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Let's check in with an old friend:

Here, this explains everything:

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Alabama GOP closed them after the Roy Moore/Doug Jones election. Of course, they were absolutely right, a bunch of us did vote in the R primary and help advance Moore as the weaker candidate, resulting in Jones election. This was right at the height of the (entirely true) scandal about 30-something Moore trolling the mall to meet and date high school age girls. Of course, the number of Al D's (to start with) who were voting in the primary (fewer still) who were activist enough to cross over (pretty damn few, honestly) and vote for Moore was small. He only got through because there were lots of people who didn't care, 'cause Jesus.

It is an absolute truth that the R primary here is the de facto election for any statewide elective post.

Driftwood likes this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. Neutral Corner

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'd guess that what you're describing in the case of a good chunk of those people. ... is still just pragmaticism. We have a system that gives you two choices. Most people hold their nose and pick one. Even if they pick people from one party most of the time, it doesn't mean their self-identification as "independent" isn't true. Independent doesn't necessarily mean that you believe in nothing and every election you get out a dartboard, nor does it mean that your beliefs (whatever they are) are so pliable than you go back and forth between things. What if a lot of those people identify with one party 54 percent and the other party 46 percent, but really wish we had a third party they identified with 80 percent?

When you only have two choices. ... most people go with the choice that they think is closest to what they value, even if they are pretty disastisifed with the choices. It's not surprising to me that most people would choose one thing more consistently than the other, simply because it comes closer to what they stand for .

The question for me, at least is what if they had more than those two choices? Would they still be "de facto" partisans?

Also, maybe I am an anomoly, but the "choose the same party" thing definitely doesn't make me into a de facto partisan. I vote for wacky third party candidates a lot of the time. Like I used to cast votes for Ralph Nadar, who I thought was a dipshit and had just about everything in life wrong, but 1) I knew he wasn't going to win, but 2) bif he got some votes, I hoped maybe it could somehow lead to more than two choices and break the two-party monopoly. So I was choosing for entirely non-partisan reasons.

Among the two parties, I have voted for Democrats way more than Republicans in the last 20+ years. But there is zero about me that identfied with anything those politicians were saying they stood for, and I might identify with the stuff their party says it stands for less than I identify with the other party. For me, the choice always had zero to do with "partisanship." For example, the first time Barack Obama ran, I knew he was going to win, and I said to myself, "We're going to get our first black president finally, and I don't want to be the guy who didn't vote for him." I voted for Joe Biden in the last election -- who I can't stand as a politicians and knew would be bad for the country -- but it was an "anyone but Trump" vote. Give me what I considered a better choice (pretty much any candidate other than Joe Biden or Donald Trump who had a realistic chance of winning), and I would have voted for that person instead.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
  8. Neutral Corner

I'm going to re-register as an Independent because they've locked me out of the R primary. The reality is that in most state elections that's where who gets elected is actually decided.

Lord knows I'm not a Republican, but I'd like to be able to choose the dipshit who does not dig as deeply into the pile.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Right. There are so many people in NYC who are registered democrats simply because the democratic primary decides just about every local seat where they live. Since we're talking de factos. ... the primary is the de facto election.

I am registered as an independent, and right around election time I always get someone trying to tell me I should register as a democrat for that reason.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

In Alabama? You aren’t registered as any party. Literally I had to update my registration back to Shelby County just last month. And there is still nothing about party registration.

franticscribe likes this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I wish Romney would have won in 2012, as it turns out. It definitely keeps Trump out of 2016, and by COVID year who knows what would have emerged from the GOP?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There are many ways to play that what if game, but it takes responsibility away from the people who voted for Trump. I still think that if Beau Biden hadn't died, Joe Biden might have run for president in 2016. As VP, he would have gotten the nomination and likely would have beaten Trump.

If that happens, maybe we aren't stuck with a pair of ancient candidates this time around.

wicked and sgreenwell like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted