1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please allow me to interject my feelings about Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think this is the storm I was thinking of. It dumped three feet of snow on the San Bernardino mountains, and avalanches and other associated hazards made things much worse. A lot of people were either trapped in there or could not get through to return home for a couple of weeks.

Residents in Southern California remain trapped by snow as another round of winter weather hits the northern region of the state | CNN

It was also one of the snowiest winters on record for California. No storm-by-storm breakdown here, though. Just a total from mid-March 2023.

California snow totals: Compare 2023 Sierra totals to past years

Spartan Squad likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Being such a north-south oriented state makes the concept of shared weather a reach.

IMG_5249.jpeg IMG_5250.jpeg

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I like those maps that superimpose European cities onto their equivalent North American latitudes.

[​IMG]

TigerVols and Liut like this.
  4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Started snowing in Microville at 7 this AM and hasn't stopped. I guess the weather gods want to make the visiting NDSU baseball team feel right at home. After my wife's last misadventure in ice and snow, I don't think we're leaving the house today.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

This is a tremendous way to describe the East Coast to a Californian, and California to someone who's never been east of Peoria.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My frame of reference is everything is so spread out in California that it trips me out to think how close things are together on the East Coast. My brother-in-law has family in Vermont and he talks about how close they are to Boston or NYC. When he flies back east, he goes to Boston and drives to Vermont. It's crazy to think flying to one state so you can drive to another state and have that not be a thing. I wouldn't fathom flying to Phoenix or Portland to drive to California.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

My go to description of how big Texas is: "It's further from Houston to El Paso than it is from Atlanta to Houston."

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Growing up in Delaware, you crossed a state line to do practically anything.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Fun Virginia fact. If you live in Big Stone Gap in the far southwest of the state, you're closer to seven different state capitals than you are to the Virginia state capital -- Atlanta, Columbus, Nashville, Frankfort, Charleston, Raleigh, and Columbia are all closer than Richmond.

10. Spartan Squad

And El Paso is closer to LA than to Dallas.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And if you go one county west to Lee County, you can add Indianapolis.

2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  12. Spartan Squad

The drive from Harrisburg to Baltimore is only slightly longer than the drive from the southern edge of my county to the northern edge. And there is a way to make it longer if I choose a different county border.

Draft saved Draft deleted