1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wonder just how much money Trump owes that he hasn't paid. We've heard stories about him stiffing his lawyers, caterers, contractors, convention centers, etc. Add all that up, plus what he owes due to the recent trials and what's the total?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Unlike his other creditors, courts have the power to freeze and then seize assets to force compliance of judgments.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

(Checking my watch)

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What gives them that power to force that compliance?

Ultimately the authority to put people in prison if they don't abide by their judgments.

Civil judgments, fines, asset forfeiture, preferential regulatory enforcement, coercive tax policies, etc etc etc ... at sone point in the chain somebody can be put in the position, "do this, or you're going to prison."

That's why laws work.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Katie Phang has been live tweeting the Fani Willis hearing if you want to check in on what is happening there.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

'
    From 1999 to 2021 I was a registered independent, or "unaffiliated" as my state prefers. For the first decade or so, I pretty evenly split my ticket based on who I thought was the better candidate regardless of party. Somewhere around 2010, I realized I was voting for Democrats more than Republicans, but was still splitting my ticket. I'd take the primary ballot of whichever party had a competitive race that I cared about.

2016 was the last time I took a Republican primary ballot and it was the last time I voted for any Republicans in the general election. I also am firmly rooted in a community where the Democratic primary ballots now determine all local races. Finally pulled the trigger and just became a Democrat since I cannot see voting for any Republicans in any race, no matter how well qualified they may be, after the last eight years.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I voted Kasich in spring 2016, and that’s the last Republican primary I’ve participated in. Many of my fellow Alabama liberal squishes will vote there trying to land on the “less-bad” candidate, but increasingly there just isn’t one.

8. Neutral Corner

It's not so much voting for the less bad as it is the less odious.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Gotta get in line!

10. Neutral Corner

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Oooof... really reminds me of "if it's inevitable, just relax and enjoy it."

Of course, I have little doubt Turtle will cave. Or say nothing. Can't imagine he'd come out against trump.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That was beautiful.

Draft saved Draft deleted