1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Majority of Biden’s 2020 Voters Now Say He’s Too Old to Be Effective

These two voter quotes...

On Trump: “Trump, one of the few things I would say good about him, is that nothing seems to bother him. He seems like he’s in the same mental shape he was 10 years ago, 12 years ago, 15 years ago. He’s like a cockroach.”

On Biden: “He’s incompetent. He’s clearly struggling to fulfill his duties. He’s clearly reached the point where he’s too old for the job. But he’s still a step ahead of Trump.”

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think the advice to keep the State of the Union shorter is what I was after.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes. Agreed there.

Clinton is the one who lengthened it unnaturally but he was a great speechmaker with an unusual love for policy.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I love the "clearlys" in that second quote. I know it's not the reporter's job in a poll story, but that adverb cries out for a "how so? What specifically makes you think that?" follow up. Because it's a very safe bet the voter in question has either an answer based purely on vibes, or because Biden speaks slowly on TV, as it's harder to control his stutter than it was 30 years ago.
    IMO Biden, like almost every other leader of a democratic country, is suffering as a scapegoat for the still unexamined trauma of the pandemic. "Biden is old"is a policy-free way of saying "I'm still unhappy, damn it."

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. Michael_ Gee

Here's an absolute example of what I was saying in my previous post. A CBS News poll has Trump leading Biden 52-48. Main reason: Voters REMEMBER the economy as being better under Trump. Now by any objective statistical measurement used for the economy, this is not true. Yes, things are more expensive, but people also have more money than they did in 2019. What these folks REMEMBER is that Trump was President BEFORE the pandemic, so things must've been better then. That Trump was also President during the pandemic seems lost to memory.
    Prediction: If Trump wins, Republicans will be happier, but the country will remain unhappy, just different reasons for it. A survey which I saw last night found that regardless of their political orientation, folks queried in 2020 and 2022 reported being far unhappier than in any similar survey (all conducted by the same organization, whose name I did write down) in the previous 30 years. Gosh, I wonder what could've happened to cause that change?

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If we the people can’t figure this shit out, then we deserve the coming collapse.

wicked and OscarMadison like this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

I'm with you, Dixie. If people vote to get rid of their constitutional democracy because Cheerios cost more than they used to, there's no use worrying about it. Just accept we failed as a people because of selfishness, ignorance and a very large splash of hate and bigotry.

Driftwood likes this.
  12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Agreed, but their kids don't deserve to have to clean up the mess.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted