1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If I had to guess, a combination of Israeli pressure not to do it and political fear of the R's pointing a finger and saying "All you're doing is shipping food to Hamas".

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Of course. It makes no sense to tell people they are experiencing something that they aren’t if you want them to sell them a good or a service. They know what their reality is. You are apt to make them not trust you, logically it isn't the kind of thing that would make people buy from you.

You run an ad like that because you want your business to capitalize on what they are dealing with, like “Hey, we know you have gotten hit hard by rising prices. ... come to us, our prices are better."

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One of my neighbors down the street manages a rival HVAC company. I asked him about it.

He said HVAC prices were actually higher that first year of COVID because of all the renovations happening. He also pointed out that company that aired the ad in question is based in Bentonville - where explosive growth in new home construction is driving up prices.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know the HVAC industry per se. And I really shouldn't have to do this. But they actually do track the equipment costs in the PPI. The run up in price has been as dramatic as it has been for a lot of other things like it.

[​IMG]

And that doesn't include the labor involved in the installation; services "inflation" is still rising at an even faster clip than goods "inflation" (even though wages aren't keeping up with rising costs in real terms, which is part of why so many people are struggling), because wages have been rising in sync with prices (some people think of it as a wage-price spiral, but it's more that the two things are indicative of the same thing).

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Of course, the latter is happening, but Republicans are going to use Gaza against Biden no matter what he does.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Florida was nutty when I lived there 2008-09. But nothing like the run from reality we’re seeing now. I just don’t know what the upside is for people showing their asses at every turn. It’s like a damn death cult.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

You rang?
    [​IMG]

2muchcoffeeman and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

At this point, if there are “ongoing supply chain disruptions,” I’m inclined to believe they’re willful.

garrow likes this.
  11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

WSJ reporting Biden Admin plans to spend billions to replace China-made shipping container cranes, citing possible security threat.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yeah, I’ll trust my buddy who does the work over a survey. With the admission his memory may be faulty because, well, Covid effed up his world.

(Commercial refrigeration … is that air conditioning for a home or the giant units on an office building?)

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted