1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Did they rule on the merits or did they find a way to punt?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They elected an even more conventional politician, maybe the most conventional of our time, in 2020. Might re-elect him, too (Might not as well).

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
    2muchcoffeeman and Twirling Time like this.
  3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My opinion is that Obama was such a political unicorn that he held back the tide of right wing media fear mongering. Once he was term limited, the spread of partisan news and opinion masquerading as news, especially through social media, has simply exploded exponentially. People 100% can consume the information which confirms their biases, and facts don’t really matter anymore. There are tens of millions of Americans who fully believe the most outrageous conspiracy theories because there is a profitable business to be made feeding that ignorance.

garrow and Neutral Corner like this.
  4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

The Colorado district court's finding that he is an insurrectionist is undisturbed. They ruled unanimously that Colorado lacks the authority to enforce Section 3 for federal races.

Five justices went further and ruled that only Congress can determine the applicability of Section 3 to a particular candidate for federal office, relying on Section 5 for that view.

Four justices - Barrett in a solo dissent, and Sotomayor Kagan & Jackson in a joint dissent - agreed in the outcome but argued the majority went too far.

The majority opinion is unsigned, as it is per curiam, but my money is on Kavanaugh based on some of the smarmy comments and cites to other recent, signed opinions of his. If not him, then Alito.

2muchcoffeeman and MileHigh like this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

So if Trump wins in November and the Democrats win control of the house, we could have issues on Jan. 6, 2025, since only Congress can determine the applicability of Section 3?

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A stupendous waste of time - the epitome of virtue signaling - that now becomes a win for Trump, who will crow "9-0! U-NAN-i-mous!" over and over on the trail.

Now - which left-leaning magazine or political website puts the Maine Secretary of State on a cover story with the words "The last good citizen" or somesuch nonsense?

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

If “don’t do things because Trump will claim credit” is the standard, I have terrible news.

UNCGrad, HanSenSE, garrow and 2 others like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Among the MAGA? 75% that he's Black, maybe more. Understanding policy isn't their strong suit, tribalism is.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It's that Obama is black. Period.

Gutter, melock and UNCGrad like this.
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Outside of the political interest, I don't see much else to hang on until November. Just going to have to hope there's more of one than the other at the voting booth. Because I see his lawyers, substandard as they might be, dragging the legal process out past then.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted