1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I caught the We Are the World doc today. It was fun in a history is told by the winners sort of a way. Lionel was a great storyteller, as were many of the talking heads. I was just blown away by so many of the voices.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

BTW - I did see the tribute. It was touching. Liked the video.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
  4. DanOregon

Holy Shit. Finally finished off Mayans MC. "You ain't the only one who reads Shakespeare motherfucker!" is SUCH a great line!.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I did feel badly for Sheila E, who came to the realization that she was brought on as Prince bait.

6. Webster

Did she really think with all of names and those amazing voices that she would get a solo? Maybe that’s the story which she has told herself for the past 40 years.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Eh, she was pretty big herself at that time. As big as Al Jarreau? Probably. Kim Carnes? Probably. Dan Aykroyd? Musically, probably. ;)

Webster likes this.
  8. Webster

I mean, she had literally one single by that point. And while that was a hit, you could barely make out her voice and she was basically a Prince protege. Jarreau could really sing (if sober) and was a Quincy Jones guy, which went a long way (James Ingram was a great singer but not a star). Carnes at least had a unique voice. You do have me on Aykroyd, though.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Rubber biscuit!

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. John

John Well-Known Member

Bow wow wow!

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. DanOregon

So who ended up getting Prince's solo line?
    Ingram? He and Michael are the only one who "appear twice" in the song. The other thought is Michael's line "when your down and out..." an odd placement for MJ given he sang the first chorus.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Al Jarreau being a lush was a takeaway from that doc that I wasn't expecting.

Webster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted