1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I did the same. I felt like the poll workers were judging me when I asked for the R ballot, but what are you gonna do?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am a registered Democrat so that's the ballot I got. Voted early last week. Nonpartisan town elections also today so I got two separate ballots. But I posted to cite a fellow Mass. resident quoted in a Globe story interviewing people at the polls this morning. This citizen is registered independent, and told the reporter, as he's entering the polling place mind you, that he had not yet decided which party's ballot to ask for. "I think as an independent I have to keep an open mind," he said. Brother, that's pretty damn open.

SFIND, DanielSimpsonDay and Driftwood like this.
  3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

So open you can feel the wind rush through.

SFIND, DanielSimpsonDay and HanSenSE like this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I filled out my R ballot for Haley and will drop it off when I go get lunch.

Driftwood, franticscribe and garrow like this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Voter turnout mid-day is about half of what it was in 2020 in my county, according to the local election board. I'm in a heavily Democratic county (Ds typically take 80+ percent of the vote). Part of me hopes that explains the low turnout because in 2020 Biden had not quite clinched the nomination - though it was inevitable - and Bernie was still on the ballot. We also had a heated primary for a senate seat.

This year, Biden is the only Dem on the ballot and that's been a whole thing about why Dean Phillips and Marianne Williamson aren't there, but whatever. We also have a Dem primary for attorney general that's getting a lot of attention. GOP PACs have been funneling money to the weaker of the two candidates to try to hurt the likely nominee (Jeff Jackson). There is a contested gubernatorial primary, but the challengers to the establishment pick - current AG Josh Stein - have failed to build any momentum.

Anyway, I worry low turnout today is a bellwether about lack of enthusiasm this cycle. I hope it's just a function of people mostly only paying attention to the presidential race and that already being decided on the Dem side.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

More in 2022, the only one I looked up. But:

Researchers claim Texas leads country in ‘rape-related pregnancies’ after Dobbs decision
    by: Cora Neas

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-abo...ape-related-pregnancies-after-dobbs-decision/

Texas vow to 'eliminate all rapists' rings hollow at clinics

"In Texas, the blowback was swift when Abbott said last September: “Texas will work tirelessly to make sure that we eliminate all rapists from the streets.” Critics called it detached from reality. A sexual assault hotline in Houston has answered almost 4,800 calls through August this year — putting it on track to exceed last year’s volume of 4,843.

As of this summer, all abortions were banned in Texas except if it would save a mother’s life."

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This will be the end of Trump.

SFIND likes this.
  10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The question is when and how Haley bows out. She won’t go full Liz Cheney because she thinks that she has a career in the GOP to salvage.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The one immutable truth about elections is that contests spur turnout, and the closer the contest, the higher the turnout.

Driftwood and franticscribe like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted