1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

sgreenwell and franticscribe like this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There is no 1-AA in basketball. That’s why Farleigh-Dickinson can be in the same tournament as Purdue.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Since I can't find the NIL thread.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yep. Into the brave new world.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Giving 15 and 13 is also a waste. Cap both at 11, or at 9 with two additional that can be divided, like baseball does.

I don't begrudge anyone getting a scholarship. But a considerable number of athletes on full scholarships never see appreciable playing time and essentially are being paid to practice.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Administration is not happy.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Tough fucking shit, Dartmouth.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Most women's sports offer more scholarships than their corresponding men's sports as a result of Title IX, in part as a way to help offset the lack of a women's alternative to football's massive scholarship numbers.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Dartmouth players: "We want to be paid."

University: "No."

Players: "We'll go on strike."

University: "Fine."

tapintoamerica likes this.
  11. Noholesin1

Noholesin1 Active Member

If they're like most of the union workers I know, they're already compiling a list of new work rules: won't play more than five minutes without a break; first-class travel on all flights; profit-sharing on all ticket sales . . .

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Again, while Dartmouth is a very rich school, its basketball program generates next to no revenue. Like all the Ivies, its payoff to athletes is being admitted to the school in the first place. I don't think Big Green basketball generates much NIL money, but four years there means you have opportunities for networking that pay off upon graduation. A job at Morgan Stanley or a white shoe law firm offers far better odds of life success than a tryout with any team in the NBA.

Draft saved Draft deleted