1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know, but those scholarships could be spread out to other sports, or to start programs that aren't already offered.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In the Ivy League? That's a good one.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I should know more about labor laws, but in the aftermath of this vote, could the school legally come out and say, "OK, fine, this is our last season of having a basketball program"?

I really doubt Dartmouth would miss a beat.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That'd be problematic under labor law. But Dartmouth could certainly say it could only pay the players from the basketball program's non-existent revenue and be within their rights. Rest assured when other unionized employees of a university negotiate, the school doesn't take a slice from its endowment.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Also:”How will we be able to tell if you’re on strike?”

Flip Wilson likes this.
  6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ehhhh .... "fiery" is kinda pushing it. I think I'd say "snooty" or "snippy." "Huffy" would work too.
    "Fiery" implies some imminent threat of drastic punitive action.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Gotta love ESPN Plus games. Austin Peay wins in overtime in the A-Sun quarterfinals and the winning coach is wearing camo pants and holding his toddler during the entirety of the postgame interview.

8. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

In a relative sense, a similar argument can be made for just about any school, at least as the opportunity you get from your scholarship is concerned. (I fully realize Dartmouth offers better opportunities.)

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No scholarships, so who’s an employee?

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Most players won't become university employees. For the monied schools, the NIL collective will put them on salary under contract, something on that order.

How the hell it will be managed at Dartmouth remains to be seen. I'm not even going to attempt to guess.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

ESPN+ is my favorite "channel" on TV. Nothing better than falling asleep to the sounds of a matchup between Northwest Indian and Lewis-Clark State or some such. One night, I turned on a game that had a stage at one end of the court, and it somehow got way better from that detail: Houston Christian 149-144 McNeese (Mar 5, 2022) Final Score - ESPN

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I suspect that their attempt to unionize would be more about standardized rules and schedules, vs. concerns about getting a big pot of NIL money. However, I haven't really been following this closely.

Draft saved Draft deleted