1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Gotcha. I missed a period in your first sentence. Makes sense now

MileHigh likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

In the 80s I lived elsewhere and they frowned on elementary school kids voting.

In 1996 I only voted in the general.

In 2000 I lived in Muscle Shoals during the primary and there were plenty of people voting in each primary. Far north Alabama was in the last days of conservative Democrats holding local office (and had a blue dog congressman, Bud Cramer). But super churchy types like my wife and I pulled Republican ballots for the presidential primary. (Because George W. Bush looked safe to advance, I went with Alan Keyes. That’s how deep I was into the anti-abortion weeds.) Gore won Colbert County by 25 votes in the fall, but by then I’d moved across the state to the ruby red Wiregrass.

franticscribe and Alma like this.
  3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to all the think pieces promoting Jason Palmer as the perfect Biden alternative. American Samoa has sent a message.

tea and ease and garrow like this.
  4. Deskgrunt50

All hail Vermont!

tea and ease, HanSenSE and matt_garth like this.
  5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I’d rather not.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A goofy state, which went with Republicans in the 20th century from 1900 to 1988 in the presidential election except for 1964 but has been blue, like California, every election since 1992.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. Deskgrunt50

Adam Schiff basically became a Senator tonight. He’ll clobber Garvey and it won’t end up Democrat battling Democrat.

Unfortunate that Katie Porter will lose her House seat. I think she’s done her job very well.

It was a close race last time to keep her seat. So I would guess that’ll be a toss-up seat in the fall. I have no idea of the possible candidates on either side. Perhaps the west coast posters have insight.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It was a smart move by Schiff to concentrate his attacks on Garvey rather than run against Lee and Porter, which may have created a Democratic taffy pull in November.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Many pundits suggested that Schiff would lose to Porter in the general because the Republicans would pick her over him since Schiff has been more anti Trump.
    He played the GOP voters perfectly in heaping his attention on Garvey.

MileHigh and garrow like this.
  12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

The NC GOP is so far gone that they elected an antivax nurse as their nominee for state superintendent of schools. Her qualifications include being a failed candidate for local school board, having home-schooled her children, having attended the Jan. 6 rally before the riot, and an endorsement from Moms 4 Liberty.

Her opponent in the primary: The incumbent, who has done a fine job, is a former teacher and conservative policy advisor and one of the few remaining examples of a sane Republican elected official.

At least the Dem nominee is highly qualified, but that doesn't seem to matter anymore.

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted