1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Eco terrorists went after the electric car company? I know Elon's a dick, but that one doesn't make sense to me. Also nice of them to cut power to local villages.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Think of it as an off, off broadway Lord of the Flies production.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I have to wean myself off X. Ten minutes in that toxic atmosphere can make me depressed for an hour.

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

And that's how we all circled back to SJ.com!

garrow, FileNotFound, wicked and 2 others like this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Musk lying about Biden:

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The SJ diaspora, except for Sandy, has returned.

swingline likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, if THE Judd Legum has weighed in, especially using all caps, then the matter is settled.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Elon didn't do it since you don't like Legum?

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Or he believes Biden actually did what Musk claims, which is much worse.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Seems to work the other way most of the time. Figured I'd give it a try.
    But seriously, is Legum a somebody? I'm not familiar with him, or why his tweet thread ought to be treated as the be-all, end-all on this or any other subject.

Also seriously, the story Elon is referencing is making the rounds. He didn't pull it out of thin air. It's from a FOIA request that something called the Center for Immigration Studies did, then near as I can tell the story was picked up by the Daily Mail. Haven't been able to find the full story on it, though. Damn algorithms.
    So there might be some veracity to it.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

So a guy posts a series of links and government documents showing what the program is, how it was announced and what it does, all showing Elon Musk's story to be bullshit...

But you're going to go with "But the Daily Mail did something on it that I didn't read"?

You can probably find it in the Epoch Times, too.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

So did you actually read Legum's tweet string? Or are you just squawking because you're not familiar with him? He quotes the laws and rules of the program that Musk is talking about, and they bear no relation to what Musk claims is going on.

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/analysis-opinion/non-citizens-are-not-voting-here-are-facts

"Multiple nationwide studies have uncovered only a handful of incidents of non-citizens voting. Based on state prosecution records, votes by non-citizens account for between 0.0003 percent and 0.001 percent of all votes cast. Election officials agree that there is no serious problem of non-citizen voting in our elections. The National Association of Secretaries of State, whose Republican-majority membership includes the chief elections officers of 40 states, said they “are not aware of any evidence that supports the voter fraud claims made by President Trump.”

Federal law and the law of every state prohibit non-citizens from registering to vote or voting in elections (save for a few municipalities that allow non-citizen residents to vote in local elections). Experts believe that the severity of the penalties for violating these laws serve as a significant deterrent.

Also, it is relatively easy for a non-citizen to get caught. If an ineligible person intentionally registers or votes, not only do they risk being recognized, but their name will be on permanent lists of voters for later detection. And, as discussed below, lots of people scrutinize those lists looking for potentially ineligible voters, increasing the chances of getting caught. Again, when discovered, non-citizens face fines, time in prison, and deportation."

Draft saved Draft deleted