1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

In a way, this is why the internet should be banned. I can go down a complete time-wasting rabbit hole on this and never come close to a real answer. Sure, it seems like it's stayed the same but has the cost of specifically producing a Whooper risen or fallen?

That is, has the real cost of labor, meat, buns, pickles gone up or down since then? And once you throw in the cost of government subsidies, whether agricultural, transportation - along with "cheap" money - is the average Whooper eater better or worse off? But I'm not close to being bright enough and life is too short.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

NYCB Tumbles on Report Bank Is Trying to Raise Equity Capital

The irony is that Jay Powell has been testifying in front of Congress in his bi annual Humphrey Hawkins testimony (which is always entertaining and scary at the same time), and he has been asked multiple times about banks and commercial real estate. He assures everyone, it is all under control.

3. The Big Ragu

They just put out a press release saying they have raised $1 billion. ... a group that includes Steve Mnuchin's firm. :)

Also announced a new CEO.

They are doing everything they can to sure up confidence.

Of course the group that just bought probably precipitated the stock price drop in order to get a bargain.

What I don't get is why there hasn't been a run on deposits. People must be so conditioned to think that the FDIC / Federal government will make everyone whole (with what, though?) that they no longer worry.

Weird times.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

If you eat a Whopper, you’re worse off.

britwrit likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ragu, we had the Global Financial Crisis less than 20 years ago, and it was horrible, but by and large depositors were made whole and the system kept functioning. You can argue, IMO rightly, that shareholders should've been wiped out and bondholders given a crew cut, but that's not what happened. Depositors, however, were made whole. And here we are. The system continues to roll along. Anyone who can afford to buy in, regrettably not enough people, has benefitted from doing som if they were reasonably prudent and only reasonably greedy.

6. The Big Ragu

2008 didn't really see much by way of bank failures. They forced sales and did bailouts -- socializing the problem (look at the $34 trillion of debt we're all on the hook for and a little more than $1 trillion is probably attributable to the system continuing to "roll along," as you put it). The actual bank failures, which continued for a few years afterward were relatively contained. Only a small percentage had uninsured depositors who weren't made whole. I'd still argue that if you were one of those depositors it wasn't an "oh well" event to you.

Have you ever looked at the FDIC balance sheet? It's a joke. It has a whopping $125 billion that is somehow supposed to be securing $7 to $10 trillion in deposits today. And when SVB and Signature Bank went under last year, Janet Yellen gave an implicit promise that all deposits would be made whole in order to bring in calm. If there are actual bank failures of any significance, where is the actual money in that implict guarantee coming from? Our government right now is already adding a trillion dollars of new debt every 100 days.

SFIND likes this.
  7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

January non-farm payrolls were revised. Guess which way? Bonus: by how much?

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

But, but, but ... February beat expectations.

9. The Big Ragu

Yup.

Quietly, they revised the bullshit number from January down by 107K (nearly a third of the supposed jobs). ... you know the one I was saying was nonsensical and didn't add up from the actual household survey anyhow. I have pointed this out for the last two years. They report bullshit, then revise down when nobody is watching.

This stuff isn't accidental. They report some crafted number that bears no relationship to any reality, they get a headline, someone comes on here and does the "bad news for Biden!" post(like Joe Biden employs anyone), and I get jumped on for anything I post.

This month they allowed the unemployment rate to tick up to 3.9 percent (which is still full employment, even as huge numbers of people have stopped working or looking for work and we have millions of people working multiple part-time jobs, which they count as multiple jobs!). It works really nicely for the "soft landing, nothing extreme, so back to easy money" narrative that has aleady been preordained.

SFIND and TigerVols like this.
  10. The Big Ragu

Interesting thing you can pull from their report. Taking away their seasonal adjustment which allows them to create whatever number they want, and just working with the numbers in the survey: Year over year, native-born workers have seen a decline in 900K jobs; Foreign-born workers have seen a gain in 1.5 million jobs!

It makes sense. ... the new jobs that are actually getting filled (aside from government jobs which are now one of the biggest components of every report) are low wage, low skill jobs. And we have a lot of migants who have come into the country. It's actually good for the country -- it's why they came here, looking for jobs.

But I am pointing it out because it gives fodder to the ignorant anti-foreigner stuff.

SFIND likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Do you really want to hurt him?
    Do you really want to make him cry?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The number beggars belief when it can be revised by ONE THIRD only 30 days later.

Draft saved Draft deleted