1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Is Roy Cooper term-limited? I thought Soft Core Cal would be running to replace him. And fuck that guy for not giving Democrats an outright Senate majority.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A friend who is a Dodgers fan messaged me that he said "You gotta believe" was an old Dodgers slogan, but she is sure it was the Mets. I want to say Phillies, but am absolutely sure it was something Tug McGraw came up with.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I read another story that mentioned his 5 children from Cyndi, that two of them sued to prevent him from being in their lives. When I was covering, there was a big deal about the school in Central California that was renamed Steve Garvey Junior High (since closed). We all knew it was bullshit, that he and Cyndi were gonzo. I witnessed a huge argument they had on the day Garvey was given an award for being Little League Graduate of the Year. There was a ceremony in the Stadium Club after the game. Cyndi totally embarrassed him in front of his parents. They got into the argument in the corridor outside the Stadium Club, which is on the same level as the press box. The stadium was empty and we could hear it clearly. A few weeks later came the "Trouble In Paradise" story in Inside Sports magazine.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Dude is good.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I second that. Cal was stupid. That seat was his for the taking.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The LAT did a takedown on Garvey and his terrible relationship with most of his kids.

Dodgers legend, Senate candidate Steve Garvey’s child alleges ‘abandonment’ - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

"Ya Gotta Believe" is absolutely Tug McGraw/Mets.

matt_garth and HanSenSE like this.
  9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Steve Garvey is proof that name recognition is the second-most powerful force in politics, after incumbency.

ChrisLong likes this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

And Russia

Mr. Sluggo likes this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And a billionaire willing to fund your SuperPAC.

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Yes. Cooper can run for a third term, but not until he's been out of office for one term. Cal's political career is done after losing two statewide campaigns.

Dems were stupid for nominating him. He was a problematic candidate before the relationship came to light. He is HATED in Durham for some bullshit he pulled getting the General Assembly to curtail Durham's ability to stop major development in the Jordan Lake watershed. Nominating someone who is persona non grata in one of your biggest wells for Dem votes is not smart when you only win statewide races by razor thin margins.

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted