1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

This is my weapon, this is my gun.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That wealth IS taxed. You want to double tax it?

Always so easy to spend other people's money.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Its funny, the only actual legislators who have acted on "defunding the police" are "back the blue" Republicans.

4. DanOregon

I'm fine with the tax the way it is - but maybe eliminate some loopholes and shelters?

World’s five richest men double their money as poorest get poorer

Granted these are the uber of the uber wealthy, but can anyone explain what they actually DID or accomplished since COVID to merit such a windfall? Its not like they invented another Amazon or Tesla in the last four years.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's a lot easier to make $2 million from $1 million than it is to make $1 million from $0.

Those guys just throw some exponents on that equation.

6. DanOregon

I mean, ok - he beat Hilary - people wanted to "shake things up," instead we got Capt. Chaos and his henchmen. And the American people are stupid enough to give it another try? Biden is too old? What's the worst thing that could happen? A black woman President?

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sorry for the confusion, my friends.

But for this to work anything like Gov. Hochul describes - “No one heading to their job or to visit family or go to a doctor appointment should worry that the person sitting next to them possesses a deadly weapon,” the governor said. - it has to be stop-and-frisk, doesn't it? Not just random bag checks.

Stop-and-frisk is unconstitutional.

Random bag checks are political theater.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

She didn't institute stop and frisk.

And for sure, the bag checks are theater. We're on the same page on this. It's stupid theater, just like the dance you do to get to your gate at the airport, although the reality is that they set up those tables and largely ignore people who look like me. ... I can only remember getting stopped for a bag check twice out of thousands of walks into subway stations over the years, and one of those two times I told them "no," just to see how they would react because I wasn't in a rush (they were fine). As an aside, I believe I was in lower Manhattan heading uptown, it might have been an A/C station, and I literally walked 4 minutes to the 2/3 station instead where there was. ... no bag check. Highly effective policing, eh?

The political theater goes even beyond that, in that what Adams and the NYPD actually wanted was the money (so everyone could get overtime for picking their nose at tables in subway stations), and the national guard idea was Hochul saying FU to the NYC police, who will now be pissed off and probably do less policing as a result.

At the end of the day, the subway sucks compared to what it should be. But to me, it's a societal problem that goes way beyond policing. I don't want a police state down there, there are two many idiot cops with piss poor judgment, and it's costly. And even if we had a competent DA who isn't more interested in grandstanding than justice, they don't have the resources to deal with the gazillion quality of life things (the idiot smoking pot in your car and shooting looks like, "I dare you to say something") that are what really make the subway suck and feel increasingly unsafe to a lot of people.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
  9. DanOregon

Shoot, with drones and everything - if terrorists want to take out a plane, they don't need to go through the trouble of trying to bypass TSA screening. I mean, one guy tries to make his shoe into a bomb and we all take our shoes off - get the x-ray screenings. Thousands of kids shot in schools over the last 20 years.....nothing we can do about. o_O

OscarMadison and I Should Coco like this.
  10. DanOregon

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If we really want to make the subway safer, we have to

- change the laws around involuntary psychiatric commitment

- build a mental health apparatus commensurate with a metropolitan population of more than 30 million people

- build housing for the homeless commensurate with a metropolitan population of more than 30 million people

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Most folks mean well, but don't realize the scale of the thing under discussion.

More than 450 stations. Nearly 2 billion rides a year.*

24 hours a day / 365 days a year.

500 trains in service at rush hour. Each with 8 0r ten cars.

1000 extra National Guard MPs or State Troopers won't make a dent.

*pre-pandemic

OscarMadison, wicked and Deskgrunt50 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted