1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I don't think Trump is broke, but it's just pleasing to the eye to read tweets like these. I'll take my small victories where I can.

2muchcoffeeman and franticscribe like this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I suspect, given the usual amount of lawyerese in correspondence, that she was a lot closer to "asking" for more time than "begging."

But no one can resist the urge to use the most spicy word, accuracy be dammed.

If she wrote, "I beseech you . . . " I'll stand corrected. :)

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

goin' great!

4. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

moving to the suburbs

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I still think former Ohio governor and congressman John Kasich would have been a decent president. Wrote his name in on Election Day 2016.

Matt1735 and Driftwood like this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

At this moment, it's much more of a mental health/drug abuse issue than a housing issue. Many - not all, but many - homeless are in a lifestyle that favors not being housed. Many of them, at one point or another, have had housing, if temporarily, and either lost it through breaking basic behavioral rules or found it, after whatever stipend or discount runs out, unpreferable to life on the street.

You know how some people flourish quite well in a renting situation but make shitty homeowners? I've known some, including friends who felt pressured into owning a home when it was clear to them, if not me, that they liked not having to do the many things that come with home ownership. For whatever reason - lifestyle, focus, whatever - they're better (over)paying someone else to handle things they don't want to handle, and not building equity in the process.

There can be a similar gap between unhoused and apartment life. 99% of unhoused people are better off in housing eventually - but, for a decent percentage, that would not be true in their current moment. You can furnish 2 BR 1 bath, and that would not go well for them. They need a lot of treatment, and then also something to gainfully do, and then perhaps group housing, then micro housing. It is a long process, with many detours in the road.

On a larger scale, we gotta get a lot of drugs out of our culture. We do. Too many people - including functioning people - are on too many substances - some of them prescribed - and things are not going well in our culture. The rampant number of CBD, vape and weed shops are a tell; we have never been a nation so hooked on one thing or another.

And, I know, ever was thus, and all that. It's different. Talk to people in adult mental health nonprofit. It's worse. And it's not Republicans' fault. Drugs aren't helping.

Liut likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

He's not broke, but he's over extended and cash poor. He also has a troubling track record regarding paying his bills. He can probably get the money, but it will be very costly. Any lender who might do it knows what a tight he's in and will take advantage.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

The condescension in this post is astounding. One hundred percent of unhoused people would be better off in housing today. Full stop.

Yes, we need to build support structures for the chronically unhoused that include mental health care, addiction services and a host of other things to help with the transition. People become conditioned to life on the street. Deconditioning is difficult.

And the notion that once you get people housed they need something "to gainfully do" fails to recognize that many of these people are not capable of gainful employment. Some are. Some can do limited things. Many cannot.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure none of you have this on in the background, the way I do unfortunately, but Jay Powell is in front of the Senate Financial Services Comittee and Senator Kennedy just went positively off the rails, spending 5 minutes on some tangent I couldn't really follow -- or figure out the point of -- but he was referencing stories of women allegedly being sexually harrased at the FDIC (which Powell has nothing to do with), and the sentences, “Stop being a pussy” and “I’d fuck you right here,” actually came out of his mouth, as everyone looked on increduously.

He then proceeded to argue with Sherrod Brown, the committee chair, about his time, when Brown told him he had spent his entire 5 minutes on his monologue, but he could go ahead and ask a question anyhow if he wanted.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That's John "Freedom" Kennedy

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted